Chapter 31: The Cat, The Rat, And The Dog {Part I}

Hello Watpadders!

Sorry for the long wait, computer issues. :P

40 votes and 30 comments before I post the next chapter!

One more thing, in my opinion, this is a REALLY hard few chapter to write, and I really don't think I did them justice. Then again, I did my best so....Enjoy!

~Christianne

Phoenix POV

“Leo! Are you flippin’ mad?” I shrieked as I saw my brother run towards the tree, with its branches flailing around to hit him. He laughed and whooped as he purposefully let a branch hit him so he could grab onto it. He let the branch swing him around, desperate to be rid of him. Leo let go when he was close to the trunk. He hit the ground with a thud and groaned in pain as he rolled over onto his back.

“Look out!” Hermione screamed as a branch above Leo rose high up into the air.

“Shit!” Leo yelped, scrambling to his feet and throwing himself to the trunk of the tree and drawing his wand. A small puff of silver light came from his wand, slowing the trees branches until they where practically frozen in the air.

“Huh, clever,” Leo grinned. “Come on! The dog went this way!” he called as he gripped his bitten shoulder and jumped down into the hole hidden in the roots of the massive tree.

I slowly looked at Harry and Hermione. I met both their eyes before they looked at each other, and took off for the base of the tree. I just stood there frozen.

Harry helped Hermione through the hole, and turned behind him expectantly, like he expected me to be behind him, not several hundred feet away, still rooted in place.

“Phoenix! Come on!” He yelled to me, ducking a branch that slowly swung around near his head. I opened my mouth to yell something to him, but all that came out was a small squeak. Harry rolled his eyes and ran towards me, grabbing my wrist. He pulled me with him as he ran towards the trunk again, dodging the newly active branches.

“Go!” Harry said loudly to me, standing behind me so I wouldn’t get hit by the branches. I couldn’t move. As a Cognitio Lector, everyone I was close with was family. I was supposed to protect my family. And I let a damn dog bite one member of my family and drag the other away. I let them down.

“Jeez Phee-Go!” Harry said again, narrowly missing another branch, only to be hit by another branch in the back, throwing me forward with him.

Once I felt my back hit the hard packed dirt, Harry tumbled on top of me, leaving me winded from his full weight hitting my chest.

“Sorry,” Harry grunted, rolling off me. Leo and Hermione where in the small area just inside the hold with us, and they where just as still as me and Harry on the floor. Leo was leaning on the wall of the hole, his hands in tight fists, then spreading his fingers wide before curling them back into a white knuckle fist and repeating the actions over and over again, eye closed. He was trying to calm himself down. Hermione was sitting on the floor, catching her breath like me and Harry. She had her knees up and bent, one elbow resting on a knee and her head resting in her hand. Her other hand was wrapped around her wand in a white knuckle grip.

“Well we’re no good being lazy here, lets go get our ginger back,” Leo said suddenly, pushing off the wall. “You first Harry.”

“Thanks mate,” Harry grumbled sarcastically as he got up. He held a hand out to pull me up as well. I took it, feeling those stupid flutters in my stomach as he easily pulled me to my feet.