Chapter 16: Confession - Nate

Chapter 16- Confession

Nate

"Take a bite," I say. What was I doing? I was standing in front of a very intimidating girl, trying to feed her a smore, hoping my hands weren't shaking. I mentally slapped myself for trying this.

"That's really good," she replies after taking a bite. She was blushing slightly which of course made me smile.

I took her by the hand again and we walked back over our chairs. I put another marshmallow on the stick. Brittany was sitting across from me and I could see her fuming, trying to strangle Nicole with her mind.

"Hey Nate," Gavin says with an easy smile, holding Amanda's hand. "Sing a song."

"Nawh man," I reply. "I didn't bring my acoustic guitar." I only thought to pack my electric, as it took up much less space.

"Use the one in the living room," suggests Katie who was sitting between Liam and Matt.

"No guys, really," I say again. The guitars inside were antiques and I never played them, too terrified I would break them.

"Nate, Nate, Nate," Katie says persistently, causing everyone to join in.

After about twenty seconds I cave, raising my hands in surrender. I give Nicole one last smile and get up. I ran through the garage door and jogged up the stairs. I grabbed the old Martin by the piano and go back outside, reclaiming my seat.

I started to play the song Travellin' Soldier by The Dixie Chicks. I looked over and saw Nicole smiling to her little brother. Earlier Sam had told me that it was Nicole's favourite song of all time. Her mom sang it to her when she was little, then Nick started singing it to Sam.

I knew the song because when I first picked up the guitar, I had a female teacher. She had forced me to learn this song to tech me that songs had meaning (I was about eight at this point) and didn't just sound pretty. I guess little me was insensitive. Admittedly, I hated to learn it at first, but after a few years I grew to love it.

Nicole started to sing with me and I suddenly became very nervous. I was scared, like the first time I performed on stage, that I would miss a chord or note. Luckily, I didn't then and I didn't now. Some of the others in the circle joined in too, turning our campfire into a sing-along.

Everyone started to clap as I played the final chord. I smiled and morphed it into another chord, another song.

"See if anyone knows this song," I say, looking at Gavin and smirking as realization dawns on his face.

"I know this song! It's Almost Heartbreak!" Gavin laughs.

Gavin and I had performed this song, with a few others, for a benefit concert a few months ago. It felt nice to play it again.

"That's a sweet song," Nicole whispers in my ear once we finish. She surprised me so much that my hand froze where it was before I could pick something else to play. "Who's it by?"

"It's an original," I say back, so nervous that I whisper too.

"It's amazing," she says, and I feel her lips press against my cheek. I feel myself blush really hard and my heart stops. "You want a drink or something?"

"Please," I say, still in shock, and hear my voice crack slightly. She smiles at me and hikes back up to the house. I just stair after her. Sam got up and followed behind her.

"Hey mate," Gavin says smirking at me. "Quit staring after her, let's play a game."

"Okay," I reply rolling my eyes. "What do you want to play?"