Chapter 55: Another Brother- Nicole

Chapter 55- Another Brother

Nicole

"I don't know Nikki," Katie said. She was changing in the corner of the room while I flipped through one of Brittany's old magazines. I turned the page to see an add for UCLA and I let out a sigh as Katie sat down on the bed. "What's that?"

"Nothing," I replied closing the tabloid. "I just always wanted to go to school in California. But anyway, back to the topic at hand. Gavin is getting better, I'm sure of it. I was talking to him last night and he understands. He knows Amanda isn't coming back, I think he just needs closure."

"I still don't think so, I mean he still goes out every night looking for her," she replied.

I sat up and pulled my hair up, thinking of how to say what was on my mind. "I don't think he's looking for her, I think he's looking for her body."

She eyes me carefully, looking like she agreed. We heard feet pounding up the stairs and Gavin came into the room.

"Have a good night girls," he said standing kind of awkwardly, with a small smirk in my direction. He stood there for a second, standing completely still and quiet, then he turned and left.

"Goodnight!" I called after him. I heard him mumble something to Jesse followed by Jesse's quiet laugh.

"I told you!" I whispered sharply. "When was the last time he cracked a smile, or told a joke? Especially within the same five minute!?"

Katie squealed and jumped at me, grabbing my in a hug, smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't help but laugh at her exuberance.

"Okay, okay!" I laughed. "The boys are going to run in think were being tortured."

"Fine," she says. "But I don't want to sleep anymore."

"Well, what do you want to talk about then?" I ask.

"I have no idea...wait, I know! Tell me about you and Nate at the Prancing sheep! We never got to talk about it with everything that's happened. Was it everything you imagined!?"

I looked at her, feeling completely shocked. I know Gavin knew about the date but I didn't imagine he would tell Katie. I could feel the heat on my face and I knew my eyes were wide. I ran over to the door and closed it.

"It was really cute,” I smile, my cheeks reddening.

“What was?” asked Katie. "I was talking about the date, the day the earthquake."

"Oh, never mind then," I say as I bury my face in the pillow.

“What did you do?” Katie asks, her eyebrows raised.

"Can we please stop talking about this," I asked quietly, my voice being muffled by the pillow.

"No, I want details! Is he a good kisser?” Katie asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Katie!" I protest, and fling my pillow across the room at her. I do not need to discus Nate's 'kissing' ability, which, by the way, is too amazing for words. Sorry, hormonal teenage girl.

"What?" she asks laughing, and throwing it back.

"I'm going to bed now," I tell her and flip over.

“Liam was an amazing kisser, among many things,” Katie mused, her gaze seeming miles away.

"Ugh! I do not need to hear that!"

Katie just laughed before flipping over and going to bed her self.

*

As the snow came I lost track of the days. All I knew was that it was a week before Christmas. I was just laying still in bed, even though it was after supper, remembering last Christmas.