Chapter 42: Defiance - Nate

Decicated to SnowdropEyes for loving our story and helping us out! Thank you so much! I still want that poutine ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 42- Defiance

Nate’s POV

Nicole hadn’t left my side since she was attacked. She had let the information go, and made me even madder about the entire thing. I wasn’t upset or angry at Nicole in any way, but I knew it seemed like I was.

All anger aside, Nicole and I grew closer as the days passed. She now slept in my room; in my bed. It probably seemed a bit odd, but we never did anything bad there. She just needed to feel safe so as to escape the nightmares that haunted each and every one of us. It was often a miracle any of us got any sleep at all.

On one particular day, which if I had counted right was three days before my birthday, Nicole lay in my arms. I was gazing lovingly into her eyes, when she suddenly leant up and kissed me, with so much passion if I were eighty years older I’d have had a heart attack, but even still it was soft, and loving, and pure. I still couldn’t get used to her kiss; it was like with everything going dark in this world, it was the only thing that kept the light.

We often did this, just kissing for no apparent reason at all; but we both knew exactly what in each moment we did. We were constantly thinking of each other. I couldn’t think of a single person, my mother aside, who I loved more. I don’t know what I would have done if it hadn’t been for Nicole. She kept me alive, and wanting to fight.

Two days later, I was sleeping in. I had only gotten to bed at about nine o’clock, and had been on night patrol for eight hours. I needed some sleep.

However I couldn’t sleep, so I gave up and helped out around the house instead.

I finally got to sleep just after seven that night. I only woke up once, when I could hear the soft footing of Nicole jogging up the stairs but I quickly passed out again.

Once eleven o’clock came around, I woke out of a hazy fog, rubbing my eyes and stretching. I looked at the clock, which said it was almost eleven. Only four hours of sleep? Damn. I’d just have to get Liam to take an extra night shift tonight; he wouldn’t care. He loves it, and practically sleeps all day anyway.

I walked slowly down the brown shag carpet stairs, until I reached the living room.

I instantly knew something was wrong, given the nervous atmosphere. I snapped awake at once.

“What’s going on?” I ask. Jesse and Liam were staring at a wall, and all the girls looked nervous.

“Where is Nicole?” I ask. I noticed Gavin and Nicole were both missing from the group.

“Nate, maybe you should sit down,” says Jesse. Amanda looks like she’s about to cry.

“What?” I ask, not taking a seat. Liam sighs.

“I got this guys,” he says, gesturing to the girls and Jesse.

“You’ve got what?” I ask, “and where are Nicole and Gavin?!” I was seriously getting angry.

“You see; Gavin took Nicole into town,” says Liam. I become furious. Was her last near death experience not thrilling enough?

“When did they leave?” I ask, instantly catching on. If she was….

“Nicole said they’d be back in an hour,” said Jesse quietly.

“And how long has it been?” I ask pacing.

“They’re three hours late,” Amanda pipes up and I see the worry in her eyes; her nails are bitten down from nervousness.

I threw my leather jacket on, and put on my shoes.

“So, you don’t find it funny that they’ve been mysteriously missing for about four hours?” I ask, growing impatient. If Nicole is out there, I’d go find her no matter what the circumstance.

“No, we figured that they would be fine. Maybe they took an extended trip?” suggest Liam.

I knew Nicole, and if she said she’d be back in an hour, she would be. Especially if it was this late.

I don’t say a word as I grabbed my axe, and head out the door, practically stomping.

It took me only ten minutes to get down to the store. I put my bike behind some buses and gasped. There was a bunch of fleshers lining the street.

“Damn!” I mumble. I look toward the tool shed, and caught a glimpse of dark hair and blue eyes. Nicole!

I didn’t think. I just lunged out towards the first flesher, swung the axe, and took off its head. I then cut through about ten of them the exact same way, feeling like I could handle anything.

“Come on!” I yelled, as I leaped in the air, and swung the axe down onto the head of a flesher, who crumpled to the ground. Then, I turned and surprised, I kicked one in the chest. He flew backwards and I popped the axe from the dead flesher and let the one on the ground’s roll. I was completely covered in blood, and sweat, but I didn’t feel tired. I could tell by how deep my breathing was that I was over-doing it.

I just easily cut through the rest of them, punching the last zombie and splattering its brains on the pavement. My hand felt like it was on fire, and I knew I’d pay for it later. It was probably broken in many places. I walked calmly over to the tool building; ripping open the doors and entering.

I just stood there for a minute, taking in the sight before me. I was heaving, and I knew I’d have to go to bed again so I didn’t pass out from the exhaustion. Black dots dotted my vision, and all adrenalin rush aside, I was completely spent.

I looked at Nicole and wanted to get her out of there as soon as possible. I wanted to hold her in my arms and never let go, but my anger made that impossible.

“Let’s go!” I said, venom lacing every word.

“What-the-actual-hell?” asked Gavin who stubbornly wouldn’t move until he got an explanation.

“What?” I spit.

“What? You just took out three dozen fleshers by yourself! How the hell did you do that?!” Gavin replied, looking incredulous. I guess it was pretty impressive, so I softened my gaze, and remembered that I had to get them out of here. I went too long thinking something had happened to Nicole, even if it was only about thirty minutes.

“So? Now, let’s go!” I say, and walk over to my motorcycle. I held my broken hand on the handle bar, thinking it’d be easy to turn with my arm, and realized it hurt. I started the engine and just concentrated on my driving, not the fact that my hand was hurt almost as much as my knee had been, maybe more. My hand was also covered in blood and badly bruised on the outside.

Once I got back to the house, I parked my bike close to the step. Usually it’s in the garage, but what’s the point? It’s not like anyone is here or alive to steal it.

I walk hopped off the bike and see Liam and Jesse waiting on the patio. I walk over and ask, my teeth ground firmly together, if Jesse would bandage up my hand.

I could hear the rumble of the four-wheelers coming up the street, getting louder every second.

“Sure,” says a confused looking Jesse. There really weren’t any secrets in the house, so Jesse didn’t ask any questions, knowing it would come out anyway sooner or later what happened.

“Did you find them?” he asks, as he wraps my hand in a white bandage and hands me an ice-pack.

“Yes,” I say, staring at the sky. Nicole had not only left when she knew I didn’t like it, but actually proved me right once more that she shouldn’t leave my sight.

When Gavin and Nicole parked the ATV’s, they avoided coming to the patio and went right into the garage/basement.

I walked in the house, a step behind Nicole, and then she turned.