Chapter 38: Together for a While - Nate

Chapter 38- Together For a While

“That’s amazing!” Brittany says.

I smile at her, and beside me, Nicole stiffens. Their relationship hadn’t improved once we got back together, but I was on Nicole’s side one hundred percent. To show her that, I put my arm around her. She smiles at me.

“I don’t know; we have no clue how many Fleshers are there right now. Would it really be worth the risk?” asks Nicole. I knew it would be bad for us to be away from each other, and Nicole needed to familiarize herself with the Fleshers; actually, she simply needed to familiarize herself with the killing part.

“I know your nervous, but we’ll both have weapons, and Gavin will come too, this trip could be life or death,” I say, and Nicole nods.

“Alright, we’ll go after lunch,” I say. Everyone nods, and Gavin walks away to spend some time with Amanda.

“What do you want babe?” I ask. Nicole laughs.

“Just go fix something for yourself and I’ll have the same,” Nicole replies with a smile. She must know I’d never allow her to make her own lunch when I’m around.

“Okay,” I say, kiss her cheek, and go into the kitchen. I pass Brittany on the way out, and she grabs my arm.

“I don’t want you to go,” she says. I sigh, and pull my arm.

“It doesn’t matter what you want. Nicole is my girlfriend, and although you’re my friend, you shouldn’t worry about it.”

“I know! I just don’t want you to go!” she says, and storms off. I groan. Why couldn’t she just leave us as friends?

I make some beef ravioli for Nicole and I, and bring it in to her, along with a glass of milk.

“Thank you,” she says, after taking a starving bite. I smile.

“No problem,” I say, and turn the television on. Surprisingly, the news caster was hiding under the desk. Her clothes were dirty, and she was gripping a knife in her hand. I heard groaning from outside the room. There were no special effects, no weather, just her.

Plus, she looked to be holding the camera herself.

“This will be my final segment. These things are dangerous, and the only way to stop them completely is-” she is cut off by a throat-curdling scream. The screen goes black, and she doesn’t appear again.

“Well that’s reassuring,” Nicole says to no one in particular. I agree entirely.

*

After the new, we decided we weren’t really that hungry so Gavin suggested taking the girls for training. He had a great plan to do it and I agreed. I felt a little bad but they needed these skills to live.

I got Nicole and we left the house with Gavin. We now could only use the basement door because jake and Gavin boarded all the others for protection.

I lace my fingers through Nikki’s as we walked down the field behind Gavin.

“Okay,” Gavin starts as we walk through the gate. “The fence is off and we want it on at all times so we gotta do this fast. So were gonna teach you the basics.”

Nicole looked at me nervously and I smiled at her. she would do fine.

“We’ll teach you with the gun last, because that’s probably the hardest,” He continued. “Now we don’t know exactly what kills them for good, but hitting them in the head seems to be working.”

“We also don’t know how this spreads so were gonna assume it’s like every zombie movie; in other words don’t get bit or scratched.” I says as a warning.