Chapter 48: Another- Nate

Chapter 48: Another

Nate’s POV

I walked into the house a few moments after Nicole. I couldn’t shake the thought that Brittany had just done something life changing. I entered the house and went up the stairs, passing Katie and Liam looking at something. I immediately felt better. Amanda and Nicole were sitting at the kitchen table, with Gavin making hot chocolate in the kitchen. I walked over and sat next to Nicole. 

“You girls alright?” I ask. 

“Yes,” says Nicole, who then laces her fingers through mine. 

“Sometimes I wonder why I kept beside her so long. I guess I just thought that she needed me, like I was the only thing that stopped her from being a total bitch. Looks like I didn’t do my job at all,” Amanda said. I smiled. 

“Don’t beat yourself up. It was Brittany’s fault for everything, and you’ve done nothing at all,” I say, and she smiles. Nicole tells Amanda what happened and she didn’t seemed shocked at all.

“Please don’t let what Brittany did tear you apart,” Amanda says. “It kinda sucks when she does that.” Gavin comes over and stands beside Amanda. He kissed the top of her head and she smiled at him and you could see how much they love each other.

“Don’t worry about that. Considering everything we’ve been through, we’re not going to be torn apart,” I say with a smile.

Nicole tightens her grip on my hand, and I chuckle as Gavin sits down and carefully gives me a fist bump. “Nice,” he mouths. 

We sat and talked for a couple hours about nothing in particular. The sun was setting behind the mountain and Nicole was just staring out it looking lost in thought.

Just as I am about to mention the fact that we should go look for Brittany, I hear Katie scream. 

Gavin and I look at each other momentarily, before breaking into a sprint. We run out of the house, and come face-to-face with about twenty fleshers. They were sprinting over the field and a couple jumped the fence. About ten were being electrocuted; the others hadn’t reached the fence yet.

Nicole came bursting out the door behind me with Amanda on her heels. 

“Get back inside!” Gavin screams.

“Now!” I agree. I slide the sword carefully from its sheath hanging from my belt. Gavin nods to me, shot-gun in hand, and together, we charge. 

As soon as we took out about five fleshers, I hear an agonized scream. Katie was being cornered in by a group of fleshers, and Gavin yells something to her that I don’t catch. Together, we take out a handful of fleshers, each one building my adrenalin.

Before Gavin and I reach them, Liam, who had been battling a near flesher, launches himself at the group, knocking all of the fleshers to the ground. I freeze with horror, realizing that the noise I was hearing was the sound of Liam’s head being ripped off, vein’s squirting and popping. As each flesher started biting and scratching, the headless body of Liam was being brutally torn apart. Gavin is the first to snap out of it, he grabs Katie’s hand, and literally drags her from the scene, leaving me to fend for myself. 

“NO!” I cry, as I realize that my friend, who I’d known for all my life, was dead. I was seeing red, as I lunched at the nearest flesher, my sword passing through its neck with ease. 

The sounds I made as I tore the fleshers apart were surprising. In my blind rage, I had hacked and chopped apart the entire group. Gavin ran to my side, and as soon as I looked towards the area where Liam’s body was laying, I felt like I was getting scratched by a dog who has never gotten their nails cut. I heard a gunshot peirce the silent air, my vision blurred and I felt as if I were slowly fading into nothing.