Chapter 47: Disasters- Nicole

Chapter 47- Disasters

Nicole

After I hit Brittany, she took off like the coward she was. I watched her run into the trees and once she was out of sight my emotions had caught up with me, making me feel awful. I know she deserved it but I shouldn’t have sunk to her level.

“Shouldn’t we go after her?” Nate asks confused, pulling me into a big hug. My eyes felt full with tears and I blinked them away. 

Looking at Nate I realize I am no longer the only person he kissed. I reach up, hand shaking, and wipe every last taste of Brittany off his mouth. 

“I’m sorry,” he whispers taking my hand. I wince because It was the hand I smashed Brittany’s face with and also because he was apologizing. It wasn’t his fault this had happened and the next time I saw Brittany I was going to make her pay.

“I’m fine,” I say and realize I’m lying. “We’re fine.” I correct myself and place my good hand on his cheek.

He bends down and kisses me softly and I forget about everything that had happened and just kissed him.

“Now that’s what I call a kiss,” he says and I smile at him, before the last few minutes creep back into my mind.

“I think I’m gonna go check on Amanda, she needs a friend right now,” I tell him wanting to be alone and gather my thoughts.

“Okay, but let Katie check your hand first,” he insists. “It might be broken.” 

“Okay,” I agree and look at the roof for her but only saw a male figure. She must have gone inside.

I start to walk away but Nate puts a hand on me and makes me face him. He gathers me into his embrace and I stay within his warmth for a moment. I give him a small kiss before letting go and walking into the house.

“I’m so sorry Gavin,” Amanda cries as I reach the top of the stairs. “I can’t even believe she did that. I didn’t think she was capable of that.”

“It’s okay baby,” Gavin reasons sounding desperate, wrapping his arm around her. “It was a long time ago and it all worked out didn’t it? We’re together now and that’s what matters.”

She cries into his shoulder and shift my weight from one foot to the other. The floor was old and creaked making Gavin perk his head up.

“Need any help?” I ask feeling so sorry for them. I can only imagine what Brittany had done before and judging by today, it couldn’t be good.

Amanda lifts her head and sniffles and says: “I’m fine Nick, thanks.” She wipes her tears and manages a small smile.

“How do girls do that!?” Gavin freaks in amazement and Amanda laughs a little.

“Because girls are awesome,” I tell him with a smile, feeling better too.

“Because girls are weird,” he corrects me, muttering under his breath. I realize he was mocking me for the time in the truck. I laugh at the memory when I was trying to figure out how I felt about Nate and trying to keep it from everybody and failing completely.

I take the seat across from Amanda.

“Gavin’s right Manda,” I tell her seriously. “It was a long time ago, don’t worry about it, now is what matters.”

“You’re right Nick,” she said understanding. She took the elastic from her wrist and tied her long hair back. She was wearing a dirty black shirt that read ‘don’t judge who you don’t know’ in purple and pink shorts. “I’m being silly.”