Chapter 53: Little Talks - Nicole

Chapter 53 - Little Talks

Nicole

"What took you guys so long?" Jesse asks as I stumble through the door, Nate behind me holding the boxes of food.

The trip to the restaurant replayed in my mind for the millionth time and I smiled in spite of myself. I felt amazing, no other feeling in the world could compare. I felt like I was walking on clouds and not the solid ground.

"We went house to house asking for donations," I tell him sarcastically. He smiles and takes the second box from Nate. He didn't question me again and the three of us sauntered into the kitchen to find Katie and Gavin.

"Merry Christmas!" Jesse bellows and sets down the box on the table. I remember that Christmas wasn't far off. Luckily the snow had held off but I could feel it in the air. It would start in the next little while.

It was weird though, just the fact it was December, in Canada, and it still hadn't snowed yet. It was almost like a little blessing in there dangerous world.

Katie and Gavin were sitting at the table looking very depressed. Why do I feel like they were comparing sob stories? Both of them had lost their loved one on the same day. I felt sorry for them but at least they still had each other.

Then a strange thought occurred to me; every couple had been broken up. I looked at Nate, wondering when how long he had left. I could see him getting weaker everyday but he brushed it off and tried to act normal. I watched him as he slowly placed his box on the table, looking terribly weak.

Nate's arm was now bruised around the small bite and I was curious about that. Maybe that always happened; we would never know. Whatever it meant, his time was almost gone.

However after our trip to town, nothing could bring me down. I was in such a happy mood that I could tap dance. And tap dancing was something that I really couldn't do.

"What took you so long?" Gavin asks Nate and I turn away blushing.

"Took the long way home," Nate lied with a smile on his face. Gavin could see right through it but he dropped it. Nate and I agreed that we wouldn't tell them about your little date. Everyone else had lost their lovers, and it would just be like a slap in the face to them.

"So tonight we feast!" Katie says smiling happily.

"Of course," Nate agrees and I turn to face him and he's smiling. I loved to see him smile, something he didn't tend to do as much since he was bitten.

"Nate, can I talk to you for a minute?" Gavin asks and I know exactly what he wants. Nate nods and they leave the room.

"What's that about?" Jesse asks thinking out loud. Katie had her eyebrow furrowed together in confusion.

"I don't know," I lie smoothly, starting to unpack the two boxes and sorting them.

"You're not telling us something," Katie observes and I almost drop the pack of pasta I was putting in the cupboard. "Did anything happen? Did you run into trouble?"

"Yeah, and what took you so long?" Jesse asks siding with Katie. It was a good thing I had my back to them because my expression would have given me away. I was a terrible liar.

"No," I say finding a loop hole. "Nothing like that, everything was good. We just lost track of time."

I go to grab another box but Katie stops me.

"I got this," she tells me giving me a weird look.

I take a step back and lean against the counter. After I minute the bathroom door opened up and Gavin left the room. He looked up at me with a faint smirk that faded quickly.