Chapter 54: Missing - Nate

Chapter 54- Missing

Nate

It felt like the world was crashing around me. I couldn't breathe, and I knew that whatever happened next, nothing like this would ever happen again .

"Gavin!" I yelled. I was running through the forest, my chest aching, my heart pounding, and suddenly, I was on the ground. My head felt like it had just been hit with a brick.

"Nate!"

I groggily flipped over, not able to stand. The beating in my head was overwhelming, but Nicole's blurry figure broke through the trees.

I felt a hand on my back, and vaguely recalled Katie speaking to me, before I passed out.

"Nate?" I hear. I opened my eyes and bolted upright, a huge mistake on my part. I put both hands on the side of my head, as if I was trying to rip the pain out of my skull.

"Are you alright?" I heard, from a voice that sounded miles away.

"No," I whisper, and open my eyes once more, seeing the worried face of Nicole sitting in-front of me.

"Katie!" yelled Nicole, not knowing how much it affected me when she raised her voice.

"Stop!" I say, my voice sounding frail and weak.

"Sorry Baby, Katie come quick!"

Ten minutes later, I was being spoon-fed tomato soup.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you," I whisper to Nicole, who was sitting beside me, making sure that I had a blanket, and food.

"It's fine. I would have done much worse than that had someone yelled while I had a concussion," says Nicole.

I simply fake a smile in return, making sure not to move my head much.

"Did you see what happened to me?' I asked. Nicole shifted in her seat, then looked down.

"No, but I saw you hit your head on the rock, which is the reason you can't stand," says Nicole. There seemed to be more to the story, but I could tell Nicole didn't want to talk about it.

"Any news on Gavin? Did he come back?" I ask. Nicole shakes her head, 'no', and I frown.

"He'll be okay. Gavin's tough."

"He would be okay, if his girlfriend, the one thing keeping him alive, hadn't died. What if he's given up and thrown himself into a zombie?" I ask, making sure not to freak out.

"Gavin wouldn't do that," says Katie, who must have overheard our conversation from the kitchen. "Jesse is out looking for him right now. Sadly, Gavin had the shotgun with him so Jesse is borrowing your sword Nate."

I almost stood, but stopped myself.

"That's not cool with me!" I say, "That sword is mine!"

"Nate, calm down. Jesse will be careful with it, he knows how much it means to you," Nicole assured me. I relaxed against the couch, giving into the fatigue that was constantly eating away at my mind and body.

When I awoke again, Nicole was nowhere to be seen.

"Nikki?" I call out, rubbing my sore forehead carefully as I adjusted my position. The slightest movement on my part made my head hurt like hell.

"I'm right here Nate," said Nicole, who was descending down the stairs carefully.

"Gavin?" I ask simply, but the look on her face is clear.

"Jesse returned an hour ago. No sign on Gavin, or Amanda for that matter. Don't worry, I'm sure Gavin is camping out in one of the near-by houses," says Nicole.