Chapter 36: Survive - Nate

Chapter 36: Survive

Nate’s POV

It felt good to have Nicole back. Three days ago, she hadn’t spoken to me, now she felt it necessary to talk to me about all the things that happened, which only bothered me because I couldn't listen forever.

“So, what happened to Matt?” I ask after breakfast. I know it’s a painful subject, but it was time everyone got the answers they deserved. Especially Jesse, who would have been hurt the most next to Nicole.

“Well, when I woke up from my nap, Sam was outside with Matt. But then things went wrong. Sam stopped kicking the ball around and Matt and I ran to him. He... he started coughing up blood and he... he died... But then he sat upright and attacked Matt. I got scared and ran into the house. I grabbed a knife and went back out, I couldn’t see Sam anywhere. Suddenly he was there, out of nowhere. It startled me and I tripped, I cut my hand on the knife when I fell. He lost it after that, he attacked me and-” Nicole tells me. She was starting to choke up so I stopped her.

“Wait a minute, Sam attacked you because you were cut?” I ask. She shakes her head.

“I don’t know; I just figured that was the reason because he hadn’t attacked me until I drew blood,” Nicole explained.

“That would make sense,” I say, finally understanding, “The Fleshers must be drawn to blood! My leg was cut when Ben attacked me, you were cut when Sammy attacked you, and Matt must have had some sort of cut!”

“Yes, I remember, there was blood on his page of the book he was reading. I figured he got a paper cut,” says Nicole. I smile.

“Okay, just one thing unravelled from these strange things,” I say, and then I groan. There were so much stuff we didn’t know about these things; we’d all be dead by the time we understand this thing.

“What’s wrong?” Nicole asks, looking at my saddened face.

I hold her hand.

“I just can’t believe this is happening. I mean, people are dying! Your little brother, Cole, Matt; all dead! This is the shit you see in a horror movie!” I spit, fuming at nobody, but the world. I saw that Nicole flinched at Sam, so I gave her an apologetic glance.

“I know,” she says, and I kiss her cheek.

“What do we do?” I ask her. It wasn't supposed to happen like this. Nicole laughs to herself and weakly smiles.

"Survive," she whispered.

*

Fleshers have been arriving at the farm frequently. Literally, although we never told the girls. Every time we have to patrol, one or two Fleshers show up. It wasn't too much to handle, but I didn't want it getting out of hand.

“Gavin, heads up!” I call to Gavin, who is standing on the roof. I’m on the patio, holding a pair of ancient binoculars, and trying not to be weirded out as a Flesher stumbled across the field, it's leg lagging behind and full of blood.

Yesterday, a Flesher had ripped out a post on the fence; we had to turn off the electricity for an entire day, and it took us a while to loop it back around the fence.

Gavin, holding the gun, lines up to take the shoot, and as I hear the shot gun fire, I am stricken with an idea.

“Dude, get down here!” I call up to Gavin.

Time for a house meeting.

Katie, hearing what I said, went into the house. I heard her holler to everyone to gather.

There were going to be a few changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

A/N: Sorry it's so short. We had to re-work the last few chapters and this one ended up being tiny. So, to make up for it, I'm gonna do a double post! Yay! Consider it a grading present from CMStories! Hope you pass! For those of you already on summer vacation, here's something to read :)

-Miranda and Chrissy