Explanations

"How is that possible?" Kaylie asked in awe.

I then proceeded to tell her of how I found a moon pool back in California, and what has happened since then. "I've been like this for five years," I said motioning to my tail

"Wow, you've kept this a secret for five years! No wonder you never went near water! Does anyone else know?"

"Lewis knows," I said pointing to him. He offered a nervous smile.

"Do Cleo and the others know too?"

"Y...Yes," I stammered. I didn't want Kaylie finding about them too. I didn't want them to worry.

"And they took it well?"

God, these questions just didn't stop. "They were totally fine," I said nonchalantly.

I guess the initial shock vanished from Kaylie, because now she seemed totally fine. "Can you, you know, grow your legs back?" she asked curiously.

I nodded. "Yeah, hold on." I then flicked my wrist and the water started to lift me from the water. I moved myself over to the sand, and let go my control of the water. This is how I usually get out of water, but then I realized that my sister didn't know I had powers. I looked up at her just to see her signature grin.

"Whoa! That's cool!" she yelled.

I just smirked and held my hand over my tail. I clenched it into a fist, and within seconds, my legs were back. I got up and brushed myself off.

"You have some really cool powers!" Kaylie said.

"Wait, you're not mad?" I asked shockingly.

"Why would I be mad?" Kaylie asked. "I mean sure, I just realized that my twin brother is half fish, but you're still my brother, and I will never abandon you."

I smiled and pulled my sister in for a hug. "Thanks," I whispered.

"No problem. And don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I nodded in thanks. "Are there any more people like you?" Kaylie asked curiously.

I glanced at Lewis. "Uhhhh....." I began. But before I could finish, three familiar faces popped up from the moon pool. I gave Cleo, Emma, and Rikki a surprised look.

Rikki must've read my mind. "We heard her say that she could keep the secret," she said in a calm voice.

"Wait, you guys are mermaids?" my sister asked seeing their orange gold tails.

"Yeah," Cleo confirmed. She had an unsure look on her face.

Kaylie must've seen her face, because she quickly reassured her. "Don't worry, like I told Will, your secret is safe with me. I won't tell a soul."

As soon as they heard that, the girls breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you Kaylie!" Emma breathed.

"No problem," said my sister as she shot Emma a smile.

I suddenly realized something. "Kaylie, how did you know I was going to be here?" I asked with a curious look.

"Well, you always are away from the house all day, and you might not have noticed, but sometimes you talk about Mako Island in your sleep. I gave an embarrassed smile. "So I figured you would be here. I took Dad's boat and came here, although Lewis tried to stop me."

"Ah okay," I said understandingly. "We'll Kaylie, we gotta go," I said. "We've got important merpeople stuff to talk about.

Kaylie actually took it better than I expected. "Okay!" she said. "Just please be back home before it gets dark, so Mom won't keep asking me where you are! It gets annoying sometimes you know!" Kaylie said as a smile crept onto her face.

"Okay," I laughed. "See ya at home!" After I said that, the girls and I dove underwater and sped off into the open sea. For a little while, we just swam and enjoyed the calmness of the ocean. I then started to do some corkscrews under the water. To prove she could do better, Rikki did a few backflips and when she was done, she stuck her tongue out at me. This created a friendly competition between Rikki and I to see who could do the best tricks. Cleo and Emma just watched us with amused expressions. At the end, Rikki turned out to be the victor. She always beat me at everything. I swear, one day, I am going to get that girl. After we had our fun, we all swam back to the mainland. As we got onto the shore and dried ourselves off, I spoke up. "Guys, do you know what tomorrow is?" I asked.

"Uhh Friday?" Rikki asked with a smirk on her face.

"Haha very funny!" I laughed. "Tomorrow is a full moon," I said quietly.

The girls tensed up. "We haven't been through a full moon before!" Cleo said nervously.

"Don't worry guys, I'll help you!" I said. "Over the years, I've grown a sort of immunity to the full moon. I only get moonstruck if it is a special type of full moon."

"Okay, thanks Will!" Emma said relieved. "How about tomorrow night, you all come to my house, so we can keep an eye on each other?"

"Sounds good," Cleo said.

"I'm game," Rikki added.

"Then it's settled," I said. "Emma I will be over early to help moon-proof the house."

"Okay, sounds like a plan," Emma said. After that, we said our goodbyes and walked back to our respective homes. As I was walking back, I couldn't help but think that somehow tomorrow night, someone was going to get moonstruck, and I knew that it wasn't going to be pretty.