Hook, Line and Sinker

I was on my couch watching a show. I really wasn't that into it, I just needed to pass the time. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door, then let themselves inside. It was Bella. She was my best friend, so she was allowed to come over anytime without having to wait for someone to answer. "Hey Bells," I said. "What's up?"

"Could we talk upstairs?" she asked. "In your room?"

"Sure," I nodded. Once in my room, we both sat on my bed. "So what's up?" I asked curiously.

Bella had a sad look on her face. She sighed. "I'm leaving," she said.

"Okay," I nodded. "For how long?"

Bella shook her head. "No, I'm leaving as in I'm moving away from the states."

My jaw fell to the floor. "This is a joke, right?" I asked.

Bella frowned. "This isn't a joke," she said sadly. "I'm leaving in a week. It's for my dad's job."

I just stared at her blankly for a moment, and them I finally spoke. "No, this isn't happening," I said as I stood up and put my hands on my head.

"I'm sorry Jason," she muttered.

"Isn't there a way for you to stay?" I asked hopefully.

"No. I have to go," she said.

I pounded my fist against the wall. "You can't go. You just can't," I said with my voice wavering.

"I'm so sorry Jay. If I had a choice, I would stay."

I turned around to face Bella. "So that's it?" I asked. "After you leave, we're never gonna see each other again?"

"I'll keep in touch with you. I promise," Bella said as she came closer to me.

"I sure hope so," I whispered. I spun around and grabbed something from my desk. It was a necklace made out of seashells. I gathered them from my many swims. I handed it to her. "Take this," I said. "You've always told me how you loved the ocean."

A smile came to Bella's face. "Thank you so much Jay! This means a lot!" She then threw her arms around me and gave me a hug, which I happily returned. She then gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "This is the greatest gift anyone has given me."

I smiled. "This way, if you ever lose contact with me, you'll have the necklace to remember me by."

Bella smiled. The moment was bittersweet, because in a week, Bella would move away leaving me and the others behind.

I shot up from my bed. I began to rub my temples. It's been a full week, and every night, I had a dream that was a memory that I had with Bella. Why was this happening to me? Why now? I haven't seen her in so long, and now I'm suddenly having dreams about her? I just didn't get it. Well, I had to ponder about this another time because I was meeting the girls at the JuiceNet. I threw some clothes on and ran downstairs. I saw Kaylie in a rush when I walked into the kitchen. "Whoa, why are you in such a hurry?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm just going to Ma..." she trailed off. "I'm going to the mall with Carrie," she said quickly.

"Okay?" I answered questioningly. "Well, I gotta go. I'm meeting the girls at the JuiceNet."

"Okay, see ya," she said.

I shrugged and walked out the door. Was it just me or was Kaylie acting weird? I'll have to bring it up later. I then made my way to the JuiceNet. Once there, I saw that the girls were already there. "Hey guys," I said with a smile.