Thinking like a Girl

STH © SEGA

Sarah and Sam © Cozy Shadow

Flame, Petunia, and Jeffery © Phantomask

Italicized brands (like food labels, movies, and songs) belong to their rightful owner.

Chapter Twelve: Thinking like a Girl

The ice pack Amy found in the freezer was cool to the touch, but her wrist was aflame.

She leaned against the counter, having decided to stay up later than usual to mend to her wrist without anyone noticing. Sarah and Sonic went to bed by nine-thirty. Shadow escaped to his room a little before. Waiting until ten, Amy was sure they were all asleep by now.

The day replayed through her brain as the ice pack helped.

New York City had never been so exciting, Amy. You never ran into old enemies, old friends, and you definitely didn't ever get crushed by a shelf. All in one day. When can I ever relax?

Closing her eyes, she sniffled and mentally groaned.

I better not be catching the cold Shadow has. Even if he doesn't admit that he's sick, we all know he is.

Shadow. The name hadn't been a name in New York City. She almost altogether forgot about him. But now, it held meaning.

Sonic was trying to get us together. Those tingles I felt in the store when our hands touched. Things are suddenly becoming more meaningful because I can't stop thinking like a girl.

She grasped the ice pack and continued to hold it against her wrist.

I've got to get over what happened today and move on. I'm not attracted to Shadow and I don't want to date him.

But what if what Tails said was true? That I don't want to date him yet? Technically, it was what Sonic would've told me. Still, what if I did want to date Shadow in the future-No. Impossible.

For starters, he's not interested in me.

Then why didn't he deny much of anything Sonic said? It was probably because Sonic would've had much more fun if he had tried denying things. Plus, he still agreed with me and stated we would never date. I said basically the same thing. So we both agree on one thing.

But what if I was lying?

Amy narrowed her eyes. It was to the point where she couldn't tell if her mind was in control or not. Perhaps she was fooling herself into thinking she had lied? After all, wouldn't anyone that didn't think Shadow was a monster think he was good looking?

Yet, if they got to know him, they probably would be disappointed to find he wasn't exactly a charmer in his words.

Maybe Shadow needs a girl. He just doesn't need me.

But the thought of finding the Ultimate Life Form a woman made Amy's stomach knot. Something churned against the idea, telling her no. Her mind seemed to think of only one answer. What if that girl is me?

Don't be ridiculous, Amy. Stop thinking like a teenage girl. Think like a woman and get over this growing infatuation before it becomes a disease.

Still, everything that had happened intrigued her. From the tingles they shared to Sonic's words, Amy couldn't help but ponder about everything a bit more into depth than she probably should've.