Chapter 5

Chapter 5.

April.

The officer escorted him to the table I was standing near and began to detach the cuffs around his wrist l. I clasped my shaking hands together and blinked to try to get rid of the tears.

"You got an hour inmate,"The officer patted his shoulder then walked away to stand on the wall. August nodded in response but kept his tired eyes on me.

He had a small smirk on his face, letting me know he was at least okay.

"Hey.."I breathed out.

"Wazzup?"He replied with a goofy smile.

I laughed a little & walked up to hug him. He did the same and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I had to admit, it felt so good to have my arms around him again–felt even better to have his arms around me. Waiting on this day was complete torture but the hug somehow made up for it.

Too bad it was short lived.

The officer on the wall cleared his throat, signaling that that was enough contact. I sighed and pulled away from him, but grabbed onto his rough hand.

"Ma'am..."The Officer started to tell us something about our hand-holding but August shot him a glare that shut him up.

With his jaw clenched he raised my hand and kissed it before pulling me over to the table. We both sat down next to each other with our backs turned to the officer on the wall.

"I missed you."He admitted first while wiping away my tears.

"I missed you too."I looked at his lips then his eyes."I wanna kiss you but I don't want that officer telling me anything."

August looked behind him at the officer who was staring dead at us, then turned back to me.

"Fuck him."He moved his face closer to mine to try to kiss me.

"Don't."I reached up and held his chin."You do not need to be getting into any trouble."

He huffed and backed away a little,"You right. I'mma chill."

"Good,"I sighed,"Now how did you get toothpaste? You're breath smells like Colgate."

He chuckled and flashed his whites,"Officer Anderson was nice enough ta' lend me some. She coo' people bae."

"Officer Anderson? As in, Norma Anderson?"

"Neva' asked fa' ha' first name,"he shrugged,"but dat might be ha'. She kinda tall, light-skinned, wit' freckles & long hair?"

I nodded.

"Dat's da' one. How you know ha'?"He smirked."Lemme find out my baybeh been locked up befo'."

"No silly,"I giggled,"she's my Auntie."

"Fa'real? I would've neva' guessed."He twisted his lips.

"Yeah, she knows who you are now so she'll probably go even easier on you."

He nodded silently to himself and just stared me in the face. I had to remove my shades when they were checking me so I already knew he noticed the circles around my eyes.

"Ain't been gettin' no sleep lately huh?"

"No, not much."I embarrassingly admitted.

"Me eitha',"He shrugged & sighed,"What about eatin'?"

"Of course."I lied."Why wouldn't I eat?"

He squinted his eyes at me,"So you jus' gon' lie ta' my face?"