Chapter 32

Chapter 32.

April.

I hummed & rubbed through August's curls while eating a bag of honey flavored peanuts. I was now back from my New York trip with Lance and London and to say I was happy to be back would be an understatement.

"You nervous?"

"Nah."He cleared his throat."I'm good."

Today was August's trial against the prison and like asked, his lawyer said he'd bring up the lawsuit and also have his assistant by his side. I like the way she makes things happen so I definitely trust her to do well.

"Did they say when they'd be giving the word back on it? Like, if you're off the hook or not."

"Nah. My lawyer say it could be anytime."He grabbed a few peanuts in his hand.

"Do you have to testify?"

"Nah. I jus' had ta' write a statement of whateva' I'ca recall while bein' in thea'."

"Well, my Auntie Norma called me yesterday."

"Oh yeah?"He put a few in his mouth."What she say?"

"She wished you good luck and was sorry that she couldn't visit. You know, with her being apart of the prison staff and all."

"I unda'stand."He nodded.

"Ew Aug, quit talking with peanuts in your mouth."

He chuckled with a mouth full of peanuts."My bad."

"Okay that's it,"I tapped his shoulder,"get up I have to pee."

"You jus' went ta' da' bathroom."He kissed his teeth.

"And now I have to go again. Aug get up."I whined.

He groaned but sat up to let me up. I climbed out of the hospital bed and walked over to the bathroom.

"I wonda' when you gon' start walkin' like a penguin."I heard August say from the bed.

"Hopefully not any time soon."I whined.

I did what I had to before washing my hands clean. While walking out of the bathroom, I froze in my spot at the door-seal.

"What's wrong?"Aug looked at me.

"I want pickles."I frowned.

"Pickles?"

"Yeah."I nodded."Pickles. I wonder if they have any in the cafeteria."

"You crazy."He chuckled, turning back to the TV.

"How am I crazy?"I walked over to the side of the bed.

"Cause you jus' had peanuts and peanut butta'. Na' you talkin' bout you want pickles."

"I do want pickles. As a matter of fact-"

"Don't say it."He made a face.

"I'm gonna combine them."I smiled and bent down to get my shoes.

"Oh ma' gawd."He threw his hands up."Help dis' chil' cause she then lost ha' mind!"

"Stop with the dramatics."I giggled."I'll be right back."

"Don't leave outta this hospital April."He warned and pointed a finger at me."You promised you was gon' stay wit' me today."

"And I will. I'm just going to the cafeteria. Do you want anything?"

"A kiss."He puckered his lips.