Chapter 7

Chapter 7.

April.

Dear loml  (that mean love of my life aight?)

I laughed and shook my head."Only August."

You know I ain't usually with the writing and sappy shit but I decided to run a lil game for you.

Plus I got my nigga Red to help me out. He crazy but he sure can write his ass off. Then again, he most likely been locked up in this bitch for a while, giving him enough time to get his writing skills together.

Anyways, I'm sorry I never called to thank you for the commissary money. I thought you'd like a letter personally written better. You know, since it's out of my usual element and all.

I like it too though so this what I might spend most of my time doing from now on.

Red said hey by the way. He annoyed my black ass until I put that in here.

You been doing alright though huh? Taking care of yourself like I said?  If you is, that's good to hear. If not, i'mma whoop yo ass with my belt.

I giggled and rolled my eyes.

But um, we about to be hitting the sack soon so I guess that's it. Like I said, I ain't really good at this shit but hopefully with time I get better. I don't want you stressing, so just know ya' boi aight. Yungin' too G to be tore down by a lil bump in the road. I'm grateful that you holding a nigga down and I love you for that.

Write back when you can,

-Husband

I read the letter three more times before going over to my bag and pulling out a slip of paper and a pen. Even though I received the letter this Friday afternoon, since the mail always comes in Friday, I felt it was necessary to write to him today. I texted my Auntie Norma yesterday, asking her how could I send an item to an inmate. She said it varied on what the item was and when I informed her on what exactly I wanted to send, she sort of said it was something iffy to send. I couldn't see why the gift I wanted to send was so iffy but once she gave me an officer's perspective I understood.

However, as my loving Aunt, she said she'd make sure he'd get it.

I tapped the pen on my chin for a second before I finally began to write back to him.

Dear loMl (By the way, who taught you that old man?)

I appreciate you writing to me, I actually do love that idea. However, I'd love to hear your voice too so make sure to call whenever you can. I'm also happy that you've made a friend! Is he your cellmate? Tell him I said hi back.

I'm proud that you've taken a liking to writing. Maybe I can send you a book or two in the mail. Speaking of mail, I don't know when it'll come in but I sent you something. I also don't know when this letter will get back to you, but if it's before Wednesday then surprise! If not then...I guess you can wait it out.

And I won't lie to you. I just went to the doctor yesterday. He said it's just stress and that I should take a "chill" pill, you know? So no need to go all daddy on me, spanking and what not, I'm perfectly fine. I'm eating on track again...Sometimes a little too much, but who cares right?  I hope you aren't eating too much out of commissary. I'd hate to see you come out of the pen all fat like. LOL, I'm just kidding, put some meat on those bones baby!

Glad to hear you're okay. I love you so much.

-Wife

I read over it again before grabbing an envelope. I noticed I didn't have a stamp so I left out of my room and went into the kitchen. I slid the drawer back that was full of U.S Postal Stamps & grabbed one. I peeled off the sticky back and put it in the proper corner. On the front envelope I wrote August's first and last name, his DC number, the institution name, the mailing address and my city, state, & area code. I licked it close before going outside to put it in my mailbox. I had already come from school so there wasn't much else to do.