Chapter 9

Chapter 9.

April.

"You liked it?"I smiled.

"Yeah. It was unexpected though, I tell ya' dat."He chuckled, runnin' his fingers over my knuckles.

Sunday afternoon after London and Lance, I came to visit my baby. After this I was going over to my parents place because they were cooking something up.

"I know. It was a random gift."I smiled wider."I'm glad you liked it though."

"Dat gift mean mo' ta' me than you know."He picked my hand up and kissed it."How you been?"

"Okay."I shrugged."I got your letter, silly."

"Got yours too. Yesta'day actually."

"Well it's good that the letters come so early. I'm still working on bringing you those books to read though. What kind would you like?"

"Anything ta' keep me occupied Phat. Don't fa'get the bible."

"That's the first on my list."I grinned."And what's this I hear about your cellmate? Is Mr.Angry making friends?"

"Shut cho' ass up."He chuckled."But yeah, Red kinda my nigga na'. He coo' people."

"That's good. I was worried you'd get stuck with a crazy person or something."

"Nah. Shit straight up in thea'. One officer kinda pushin' my buttons but otha' than dat, I'm good. All them otha' niggas be scrappin' & shit. I jus' mind my business and got back ta' my cell."

"Good."I frowned."But what does the officer do you?"

"He'on hit me or nun' like dat but he jus' like seein' me tick. Like he know I'm short-tempered or sumn."

"You can't let him get to you Aug."I rubbed my hand against his knuckles.

"I don't."He sighed."Just wanna get through dis shit so I'ca get home ta' you."

He picked up my hand and kissed it again, making me smile.

"You listened ta' da' doctor?"

"Yeah, I'm okay now I think. I didn't cry yesterday and I ate two subway sandwiches."

"I like ta' hea' dat. If anything I need you ta' be strong fa' me. I'm good in hea', don't 'een much worry."

"Honestly, I don't think it's just that. I had to pay my rent today, check on your bills, check over your car and–"

"Fa'get all my shit."He waved it off."Let dat shit go. You stressin' ova' sumn you don't gotta deal with."

"August if I don't pay it, they'll take it away."

"So what? I'mma be in this bitch fa' seven years. I'm not bouta' let chu' pay all'at fa' seven years."

"Or four to five."I added."If you behave."

"I do behave,"He looked off to the side,"I be chillin'."

"Mhm."I said unconvinced."Do you walk around with that mug on your face?"

"What mug?"He kissed his teeth.

"You know the mug."I smirked."The natural mug."

"My face?"

I shrugged.

"Ion know."He shrugged with the mug on."I don't be tryin' to. Like I said, I be chillin'. Plus, I jus' got in this bitch. What could I possibly get into?"

"I don't know. Nothing I hope."I sighed and looked towards the vending machine."Did you use the commissary money?"

"Yeah. I brought soap, razors, toothpaste, and a lunch."