Chapter one- introduction

I walked down the dirt infested trail, of the woods. each stick and leaf crackled under my feet. each tree covered the bright blue sky above me. the morning birds sand there beautiful songs. you could here each scratch of a tree, each squeak of an animal and every footstep of another. I loved the woods, I always have. the green surface of the ground and moss mixed with bright colors of the plants.

''Valerie'' Tommy's voice cut trough the birds tweets. I looked back at my friend who was running towards me. the cracks of sticks made the surroundings more corrupted than it seemed. she had finally caught up with me panting. '' why did you leave, you left your lunch'' she said handing me my lunch that I left at  home. I left it there on purpose but I guess my mom doesn't get the hint.

''well sorry'' I said taking the lunch trying to act dumb. ''you know Val your mom is worried about you'' she said trying to get my attention. I looked at her like she was crazy ''why would she be so worried, I just forgot my lunch a few times'' I walked on until she  blocked me. ''you haven't broken anything for three weeks'' she said looking at me. ''why does it matter I can brake next week'' I said trying to get trough. tommy grabbed my arm and pulled my sleeves down, uncovering the markings on my arm. ''see that's why she's worried'' I pulled my hand away. ''it's fine we're going to be late again'' she shook her head in disapproval.

I am not who I really am. I suck the broken love out of poor mortals to survive. I'm not the only one, my whole family are what you would call heartbreakers. when ever we brake  the love from the heart of mortals we take not only the sadness but, there fear and only little from the important part of there soul. yes I know sounds kind of wrong, I'm  not a big fan of it either. I mean I'm ruining there lives, I don't get how no one else feels this way. that's why I'm different from the others, I don't want to hurt people, it's hurts me almost as much but, if I don't I will probably die and so will the other soul.

I mean we probably would survive it wasn't for the council. they make these laws that force us to do this...well until we're thirty. then we feed foo some of the extra soul residue that  the fresh hearts (like me and tommy) bring in. I don't like the world I live in, I feel alone.