Chapter Eight

we finally made it to Harvey's, and my cheeks hurt from smiling, so much.  we entered  the popcorn, hotdog, pizza, candy smelling building. some of the flickering coming from one of the machines almost blinded me. we walked up to the counter, where Harvey was standing, in beach shorts and a blue tank top. Harvey  was in his late twenty's. his beach fedora was covering his sandy blonde hair. when he finally saw me he looked excited. ''Val how's  a going'' he jumped over the counter and ran up to me.

'' where's tommy'' he said trying to see out the door. ''oh she isn't here yet'' I said. he looked up and saw Henry. ''who are you?'' he said looking confused. ''um I'm Henry I'm new in town'' he said with a smile. ''well here's your passes for the week'' Harvey said handing us the bracelets. ''thanks'' I went to walk away but Harvey grabbed my shoulder. ''hey I got to talk to ya for a sec''. Henry got the message and walked away.

we walked into the back room. Harvey sat down in his chair. ''ok so have you broke this month'' he said serious. ''um yeah'' I said lying trough my teeth. ''no you haven't'' he said getting up from his chair. he picked up my arm and pulled my sleeve down. revealing the black curling marks on my arm. they made spirals and twisting limbs up and down my arm. '' how you know'' I asked nervously. ''when you walked in your sleeve blew up a little from the fan'' he said.

''ok I didn't break this month you know how I feel about this'' I said crossing my arms. ''yes I know but my sister and I are worried'' he said. ''I know Tommy and I had the discussion before school'' I said stressed about this. ''I know how hard this is for you, but you know what the council will do if they find out'' he said. the council the people who have lived forever. they made the rules.

''I don't want to see you hurt, your like my second sister'' he said. I felt like crying right now, Harvey is the same to me as I am to him. he was always there, when I needed to talk. even when I couldn't talk to Tommy his sister, I could talk to him. ''ok I'll leave ya alone until we get home then you,Tommy and I are going to have to talk.'' he said smiling. making it feel warm again. ''now go beat Tommy's High score because I can't handle her rubbing it in my face anymore'' he laughed  and hugged me. I walked out, feeling the same as I walked in. but I knew that when I got home there was things that I really didn't want to talk about.