Chapter 2 - Car Troubles

Seven Years Later

"There have been three more incidents of these vicious attacks in Washington, California and Georgia. It is currently unknown what has been causing these attacks but authorities have warned that if you come into contact with anyone that has these symptoms to immediately call 911. More to report later on in the programme."

I sit down on my couch and sip my coffee as I look at the TV, the female anchor woman going on about the royal family. I look back down at my crossword when there's a knock at the front door, "Come in!" I yell, knowing exactly who it will be. The front door opens and I hear thumping footsteps coming down the hall way.

"Got any beer Darling?" Merle asks before even properly entering the room.

"In the fridge." I murmur, filling in a word.

Daryl comes over and takes a seat beside me, putting down his crossbow on the ground, "You want one baby brother?" Merle asks from behind me.

"Yeah." Daryl says, wiping at his face with his doo-rag.

"Bree?" He asks and I look up from my crossword, "Yeah Merle."

I place the crossword and pen down onto the small table and look over at Daryl, "How was the hunting trip?" I ask, taking in his dirty form.

Merle walks over and hands him and I our beers as he speaks, "We were tracking this deer for a few days, we eventually got the stupid prick."

"Yeah, it was ninety five degrees out there. We were both sweating our asses off something shocking. But we eventually caught the son of a bitch, it's sitting in the back of the pickup waiting to be skinned and cooked. Want some?" He asks as he takes a long drink of his beer.

I nod my head, "Yeah, I'll make dinner for the three of us tomorrow night seeing as I have to work at the diner tonight. Besides, it's not like it's something I do most days." I chuckle, taking a sip of my beer.

The guys chuckle, "We cook for ourselves when you're on the night shift." Merle protests.

"Merle I haven't been on the night shift in almost two weeks, they very rarely give me them after I specifically asked to have day shifts so that I could feed your lazy asses." I say, smirking between the two men.

"You better watch your mouth or we won't fix your car no more." Daryl says as he takes a drink and I punch his arm, earning a chuckle from him.

"Breaking news. There have been four more attacks reported from Oklahoma, Utah, San Diego and Florida. A total of thirty people have been killed by these vicious outbursts, amongst these being five police officers and two paramedics. Reports show that officers tried to reprimand the offenders and were attacked." The news anchor reports, showing footage of the police officers being attacked from a distance on a camera phone.

"This is getting insane, this is the fourth breaking news story I've heard within the past three hours. This is getting out of hand." I say taking a sip of my beer as the news reporter continues.

"Nah, I bet it's just the government trying to get people scared. I bet there's nothing even to really worry about." Merle says as he takes a drink.

I shake my head, "No Merle, there have around fifty attacks just in this past week alone. With around four hundred dead. This isn't just some scare tactic." I state.

"Do they even know what's going on?" Daryl asks and I shake my head, "No, they don't know what it is. So far they've mused gang related actions, terrorism, some form of virus that's been travelling through the water system and effecting everyone but they don't have anything definite." I explain.