Part 8 [Lykaios]

Like most Corvine structures, Lykaios' house was but more for utility than style. When you only stayed on a planet for a half a century or less, you tended not to build anything you could get attached to. His house was a collection of straight lines, diagonal if he had been feeling adventurous one season. Houses were built and kept more or less impersonal as it was more likely that one's off spring or relatives would be the ones living in the home for an extended time. But Lykaios, ever the quiet rebel, always left little touches on his homes. For one thing he tended to build them out of the more exotic or unique building materials of the planet. Most Corvines went with what was either familiar or most sturdy, but Lykaios had built one house completely out of glass and crystal on one planet. The outside of Lykaios' home on Altair looked Spartan and foreboding, but past the first gates it opened up into something very different. The inner walls were build from a natural green material that was sturdy but much prettier than the dull brown-red brick most others used. The windows, apart from being unstereotypically large, were made from various crystals which caught the purple-grey sky above and reflected it prettily. Lykaios also had a garden. The Corvines had burned nearly everything to the ground and poached most wildlife, but Lykaios had a thriving little slice of the world before within his walls, minus the poisonous white flowers he detested.

The slaves pulled the carriage around the paved and cobbled driveway, kneeling down as Lykaios dismounted, followed by Iris. Lykaios owned 5 Avaen slaves, all with full sets of wings. The two women and three men were at the doors to greet Lykaios, all bowing in a smooth motion and intoning "Welcome home, Master" as they did so. Unlike Iris, all five Avaens were pristine, including their wings which were a glossy and healthy white. All except one of them spread their wings upward, as was the customary greeting he had drilling into them. Lykaios let the barest trace of a frown cross his face as he noted the struggle of the one Avaen to spread his wings. Leaving Iris to stand in on the path where he was, Lykaios walked closer to the Avaen, named Kit, the youngest male of the group and the newest member to Lykaios' household besides Iris.

"Turn." Lykaios ordered Kit, and the boy made the barest whimper before doing so. The other Avaens neither moved nor looked about them, either at the master and Kit or at the new comer. "Spread" Kit painfully spread his wings, making a pained sound as he did so to reveal swollen wing joints and the down near them was covered in a thin film of mucus-like mold. Wing rot. The older slaves, though afraid to fly, often spread their wings and opened them to the air. Kit, newly broken, had not yet realized that he was allowed to spread is wings, in fact encouraged to do so. As a result he had gotten them wet and not aired them properly.

"I keep very simple rules in my home." Lykaios said to Iris as he grabbed Kit's wing by the joint, making the younger male cry out in pain loudly. "Silence." Lykaios said softly and Kit immediately stifled his cries, covering his mouth with his hands to keep from making a further sound even though Lykaios' grip did not lessen and was made three times as painful by the swollen property of the joints.

"I allow you to keep your wings because it pleases me to see them as they were intended. However, if you cannot maintain your wings, I will remove them, one by one, all the way to the nerve, and sell you to my brethren to fair at their mercy." Lykaios said in a cold voice that fully enforced his words. He let go of Kit, the Avaen's wings trembling in pain and trauma.

"Tajma, take Kit to the infirmary and then all of you go to your playrooms." Lykaios ordered. The blue haired Avaen bowed and folded her wings against her back, helping Kit up and taking him inside before the others followed. Lykaios took out his handkerchief and wiped his hands, walking inside and motioning Iris to follow. If Iris was curious about what the playrooms were, he got a brief glimpse as Lykaios led him onto the basement floor of the home which was fashioned with a dark obsidian like stone, though less brittle, The stairs opened to a long hallway lined with doors on both ends. The doors were each fashioned with knobs of a particular precious stone or metal which corresponded to the same metal or stone in the slaves' collars. The Avaens went into the rooms on the left side which revealed mostly bare rooms with large cabinets, rings on the walls, and twin beds. At the end of the hall the path forked, one direction leading to the infirmary while the other led to another door made of white stone.