Part 39 [Lykaios]

Lykaios had severed many mate marks before and seen a variety of reactions and results from such. But Iris' reactions were by far the most strange and puzzling to Lykaios. With this other pets they too had displayed a disconnection to talk and threats agains their previous partners, but in those cases there had been basis for separation even before Lykaios had come along. None of them had displayed the trauma and pain that Iris had when his mate mark was removed, and yet Iris displayed little concern for his previous partner. Lykaios knew this because Iris' emotional lake stayed relatively calm without the ripples of worry, fear, and concern that should have made significant ripples. It was almost as if Iris were apathetic to Julius' plight and didn't care what happened to him.

That was both frustrating and intriguing to Lykaios and he paused, listening intently to glean what he could from Iris' reactions and the feel of his emotions. Lykaios had read and seen this defense mechanism in Avaens before, but it still seemed so strange and in some ways barbaric. While he understood the pragmatic nature of the design, for him he found it cheapened the love. How strong was a love that could be purged from the body with a simple erasure of a mark? Corvine mates were for life and even if the mate died and the other somehow continued on, there was no taking of another mate. That Avaens seemed to be able to, could reduce centuries of feeling to nothing to save their own sanity, was appaling. So what was going through Iris' head since it was no longer love for Julius? There was hope there, but hope for what exactly? It became a game for Lykaios, a kind of dual race for him to discover what it was that was driving Iris just as Iris was to find what was moving him.

Perhaps this was a clever ruse, a new defense Lykaios had not encountered before and which he would enjoy exploring. He would find out soon enough whether Iris' connections to Julius were truly severed and gone or just dormant. It would then be an interesting game to see if he could replace those fickle feelings with the much stronger and enduring Corvine version. Lykaios leaned back from Iris as he ate a piece of fruit, sitting next to him in a thoughtful fashion. He stroked Iris' face gently, the faintest smile on his lips.

"I look forward to the delights you will bring me." Lykaios murmured as he heard one of the other pets coming closer.

There was a soft knock at the door, but it did not open.

"Yes?" Lykaios called in a short fashion at odds with the calm look on his face.

"Master, a request has come to you." Lykaios had several official positions and sources of income and influence. On his home planet he had been of the royal court, both a general and a chief of political affairs. His power allowed him the unnatural calm needed to successfully lead a battle and to survive one in the harshest of environments. It also allowed him to manipulate others in diplomatic affairs as he was exceptionally good at pushing people's buttons while not giving anything away himself. Another job his talents suited him for, and which gave him the reputation that caused his older siblings to give him a wide berth, was his job as a Breaker. In essence he was a master of torture, but not just with physical pain.

Lykaios was known to be able to break another with minimal physical interaction, though he preferred to use both. He did not just break prisoners of war, but also broke wills to make others into servants, slaves, pets, etc. On these new worlds it had mostly been used to subdue whatever military or government personnel that resisted their control. Someone like Julius would have been the ones that were sent to Lykaios for breaking.

"How many is the request for, and from whom?" Lykaios asked, still stroking Iris' face.

"Three, my lord, from Lord Eckhart. One winged, two de-winged to the main joint." Lykaios considered the request as his fingers moved idly down Iris' jaw, neck and chest. Eckhart was a brutish man much like Lykaios' brother Micah, which meant that this was a request to make sex pets or worse. If he didn't take the request then the Avaens would likely end up useless and broken beyond anyone's pleasure or use.

"Very well. Tell him to leave them in separate rooms, no light, for 24hrs until I arrive." Lykaios instructed before turning his attention back to Iris.

"Someday soon I will show you the difference between what you think of as hell now, and what hell for your kind truly is. I pity your kind, and where complacence has gotten you." Lykaios injected Iris with a pure lust serum instead of the lust/calming mixture he had been using. Lykaios kissed the top of Iris' head and stood, going over to a locked case and taking out a book which he dropped Iris' feet.

"You will learn Corvinian. Whatever plan is brewing in that mind of yours will fail without it, and that would be no fun for me."