Part 41 [Iris]

Just because Iris didn't display his concern for Julius, didn't mean that he had none left for him at all. Besides, Iris knew Julius well enough to know that he would have been rather pissed off to know that Iris was wasting his time and energy worrying about him. It was obvious that Lykaios wanted to see him distressed, wailing and crying out of fear for the well being of his former mate. Though perhaps it was the calm and cool demeanor that Lykaios had that made it easier for the Avaen to bury the remaining undestroyed and perhaps indestructible, fragments of feelings for Julius. Iris felt the emotions of those around him, and if any of those feelings related to his own, it was much easier for them to contaminate his own feelings, such as the ever present perception of power and dominance that Lykaios possessed, which in some ways kept Iris from being a basket case of depression and angst. The Corvine male saw Iris as weak in his current state, but Julius would have recognized the strength in him, would of cheered him on in his every effort to resist and deny Lykaios the things that would bring him the most pleasure. Iris wasn't physically strong enough to win against Lykaios, so it was the least that he could do, and he was fairly good at being a source of irritation while still technically doing everything that he was instructed to do.

For now, Lykaios had the upper hand because he had more knowledge about Avaens than Iris did about Corvines, and knowledge was the weapon that would most serve someone like Iris. Because of that, Iris was completely unaware that Lykaios was any different from others of his kind, with the exception that he hadn't cut off the wings of the Avaens that he personally held captive. That was really the only hint that Iris had at this point that his jailer was any different from the rest, though the egotistical attitude that Lykaios had pointed to the notion that he probably saw himself as being better than others of his own race as well. Iris really didn't want to analyze Lykaios so much, he didn't have the nagging curiosity that the other had for him, but he knew that he needed to be paying very close attention to Lykaios' behavior, if he wanted to be of any salvation at all for his people.

Iris endured the way that Lykaios was touching him, even though he hated the physical touch, the fake softness of Lykaios' caressing fingers, it was a perversion of everything that Iris knew about affection. However he restrained himself from wincing away, but he wasn't exactly responsive either. Part of him wanted to shout for it to stop, but Iris had a pretty bad feeling that such an outburst would only make the situation worse for him. His level of discomfort didn't get any better when someone came to the door to talk business with Lykaios, the nature of the conversation making Iris feel sick to his stomach. There was nothing that he hated more than to see how his people were mistreated and harmed for no other reason than the Corvines found it extremely amusing. The sadistic nature of the race confused Iris to no end. How could any being made of flesh and blood find enjoyment in the suffering of others? For someone like Iris, who mostly experienced pleasure and joy through the pleasure and joy of others, it was simply unimaginable.

"As I do yours for it's discontent and displacency." Iris replied in turn. It was easy to feel only hate for those that brought only harm. However, Iris felt sorry for the race as a whole, not only because they didn't have a home to call their own, but because something in their history made them evolve into beings of jealousy and envy. This was the only explanation that Iris could come up with for the Corvine's destructive desires to bring everything to ruin, yet also rule over that ruin. Corvine's weren't the first to lose their planet to disaster, but they were perhaps the only ones to turn to war rather than refugee with allies. Iris couldn't see how such a hostile lifestyle could ever be enjoyable.

Iris whimpered at the needle stuck in him, he was starting to feel like a pin cushion from all the injections that Lykaios gave him. It made him frown to think that is was going to be the standard of living from now on, always drugged into the very compliance that Lykaios seemed to hate. Part of him hoped that his emotional abilities would continue to help him resist whatever it was that Lykaios was giving him, but this one was stronger than the last, which made his anxiety rise with his heart beat. It was an old but recognizable emotion for Iris, feelings of desire without any particular target rushed through his brain, even though he was still aware of the falseness of it all. Iris was quickly starting to feel hot all over, and much to his embarrassment, he could feel the blood racing to his groin. It was all that he could do to wrap his arms around the book tossed at him, something that he otherwise would have been overjoyed about receiving. Books were the reminder of his old life and his passion for stories and learning.