Chapter 45

"I just want to thank every single one of you for coming out tonight." Luke said into the microphone as the night wound down to an end. He raised both his arms as he spoke. "We are 5 Seconds of Summer. Good night!" With those final words, the stage went black and fans roared. The roar of a lion split across the wasteland, leaving a shocking tremble in the earth.

    I released a heavy breath of relief. Luke hadn't seen me all night. I hadn't seen his eyes connect with mine, that were watching him the whole night. I was glad that I had taken some time to listen to the music and just let go. But half the time, I was riding on an unintentional emotional roller coaster.
     If I could really count on Bert, then I would be able to get out of here safely without any collisions. I turned to Annabelle. "That was a really good concert." I said as we began to file out of the arena. Floods of people streamed out of any doorways and it was really crowded. Annabelle and I stuck close together to avoid getting lost in the herd of emo Fangirls.
     We were just before the gate when a peculiar old man walked up to me. "Why hello little Brinley! Why, I haven't seen you in ages." The old man said to me in a strange voice. I squinted and looked closer. This man didn't look old at all. He looked like a twenty-something with a wig and mustache on. He carried a cane and adjusted the glasses on his eyes. "It's your great uncle Joey!" The man said in the same voice.
    The man lightly touched my side and used his own body to shield Annabelle's view. He lowered his glasses and familiar eyes looked up at me anxiously. My eyes widened and my mouth struggled to stay clenched closed.
    "Uncle Joey! Of course, hi!" I said in fake enthusiasm. In the corner of my eye, I saw Annabelle relax when she saw that I actually knew the guy.
    I plunged forward for a bear hug. I inhaled and nearly sobbed into his shoulder. For some odd reason, it smelled more like home than my actual house. "God, I missed you so much." I whispered quietly in his ear. I pulled away and leaned to tell Annabelle, "We are gonna go catch up for a second. I'll meet you in the car, I promise." Annabelle shrugged and walked off.

"Uncle Joey" and I quickly walked through a back door that was guarded by security. He tipped his hat to them and they nodded, letting us in.
    Once we were in the bright, white hallway, I broke out into a watery smile. "Ashton, how'd you find me?" He pulled off his hat, wig, glasses and mustache. Now this was not the Ashton I used to know. This Ashton had long curly hair and thick lines from endless worry or smiling. But he looked so different.

   "Bert told me you were here. I saw you in the crowd and found you afterwards." He shrugged and smiled as well. We hugged again, this time feeling more permanent. I didn't really care that Bert hadn't done what I had trusted him to do. It get so nice being back with Ashton.
When we separated for the second time, the smile on my face sunk. "Well, I should get going. It was really god to see you though." I said shortly with no emotion.
"You're just going to leave without saying hi to the other guys?" Ashton said in a sad tone. I tilted my head and sighed.

"I really want to, Ash, but I can't see you Luke right now. It's better if he doesn't even know I'm here." I gave him a knowing look, hoping he'll understand.
Ashton stuffed his fingers in his pockets and looked down. "Luke already knows. He saw you. He's pretty messed up." My heart sunk into my stomach and my stomach flipped around, which was by a good combination. "Just please come see Cal and Mikey. I think Luke jumped in the shower. We usually celebrate after a show wth some food." He invited me and I really do want to follow him.

It would be great see the boys again. Maybe I should. Luke won't be there anyways. But if he already saw me....No, it doesn't matter. I pulled it my phone and typed out a text to Annabelle. "Who are you texting?" Ashton asked.
"My friend. I'm telling her to leave without me. I'll get a driver but for now, I want to see the guys." I let a smile that I'd been holding off spread into my face and up into my eyes.

Ashton beamed and together, we walked down the bright hallway. When we reached a room with their band's name on the door, Ashton tuned around. "Okay, I'll go in first and then I'll tell for you to come in." He told me. I gave him a thumbs up and stood next to the door so they wouldn't see me when Ashton went in.

I heard loud talking and some laughs that I knew were from Michael. Then Ashton quieting them down. "So I found one of our old friends at he concert. Close your eyes," Ashton instructed them.
"Is it a unicorn?!" Michael yelled.
"No, its someone we haven't seen in a long time." Ashton said before popping his head out of the door. "We are ready for you." I giggled and slowly walked in.
"It sounds like a girl." Calum snickered.
"You can open your eyes now." I said while clasping my hands behind me nervously. Would they be happy? Or angry? Would they not recognize me?

"Oh my god Brinley it's you!"

A/N: awwwww I love having them back together. But wait till she sees Luke. 😏😏😏okay byeeeee 🖕