I Didn't Know (Part 1)

*Ringo Starr*

It had been a month of recording. Our next album was to correlate with our next film of the same title, Help!, and I was rather excited. We had gotten the opportunity to look over the movie lines and read the plot and such. We liked it, well, I liked it. But from the looks of it, so did the lads, so all was good.

"I don't know. There is just something about that part that doesn't sound right." Paul was scratching his head, while humming the part of the song that was causing him so much trouble.

"I think it sounds good, Paul. A little different, y'know?" John said, reassuringly.

"I agree with John. It sounds good," George said, lightly strumming his guitar.

Paul sighed, and nodded, "Right then. Let's play it again."

We nodded and started the song again. When that part came along, we all heard the mistake that time. I kept playing, but looked at Paul with a questioning look.

"Fucking hell..." We stopped playing, and looked at an upset Paul. "It's me. This thing is out of tune." I sat in my place, taking a long drag from my ciggie in my mouth. It was becoming an exhausting day.

"It's only natural that you complain about your own mistake," John said, grinning.

"Did you just call your bass a thing? That's a first," George said. There was nothing threatening or angry about the question. He was smiling, as was everyone else in the room. Except for Paul, of course.

"This one isn't mine. Mine is being repaired. This is the extra, and it's absolute rubbish." He was turning at the tuning nobs, listening carefully as he strum at the strings. John and George strummed lightly, and hummed the song.

"Okay," Paul said after about a minute, "I'm ready. Let's go again."

So we did. And when that messy part came up again, it was smiles all around, thank goodness.

After the session, we sat at the lobby, not really wanting to leave just yet. We liked our tea, and a cup after recording had become a habit of ours.

"So, we can come back in two days. Get a few more songs done. When did Brian say he wanted it done?" Paul usually took over the planning.

"Not sure." George asked, almost uninterested. He looked exhausted, and I looked at him with concern. He leaned back in his chair and yawned.

"Alright. That can be asked. Does two days sound okay though?" Paul asked. It was becoming rare for Paul to ask for opinion, but he must've been in a better mood. I looked over a George, how looked as if he'd fall asleep right then.

"I don't know. Maybe we need a little more of a rest." Paul looked at me with questioning eyes. I nodded towards George, who had his eyes closed.

"Yeah, Paulie. Ringo may be right. George looks exhausted," John said. George opened his eyes and sat up slowly at the sound of his name.

"Sorry?" He asked. We all looked at each other, trying to figure out who'd talk.

"You look awful, George," John said. I gave him a quick glare, before looking back at George as he sat up from his slumped state.

"Are you alright, love?" I asked. He looked up, nodding.

"Yes, just a bit tired is all." He yawned and shrugged his shoulders. I looked up at Paul and gave him a concerned look.

"Alright. We'll be back in four days. How's that?" We smiled, and George nodded gratefully.

I returned to my house. It was dark, for I had only bothered to turn on the small lamp in the living room. I looked through today's newspaper. The normal news surrounded our area. News of our upcoming tour had gotten out and there it was.