Stay By Me

*George Harrison*

I sat on the floor of Ringo's house. He had gone outside, and I hadn't bothered to ask why. I stood up, and walked to the back door. I opened it, and he was out there, watering small, blooming flowers that were preparing for spring.

"They're lovely," I said. He looked up, probably surprised I had joined him outside, and smiled.

"Oh, uh, thank you," He stood up, "Me mom planted them. She wanted my yard to look nice."

"Oh. Recently?" I asked, walking towards him, and shivering at the cool breeze that had hit my arms suddenly. I should've grabbed my jumper.

"Yes. Last week," He smiled, and looked up at me, "She also told me to find a girl who would look after them. I don't know if she meant a gardener or a--"

"Wife? Yeah, she probably meant that." I stopped walking and looked at the flowers. I hadn't noticed Ringo was standing next to me until he put his hand on my cheek.

"I don't need one. I've got you. And you don't even have to look after these. I quite enjoy it." He looked at me, and then back at the flowers.

"You know," I looked back at him, "I've always wanted a garden."

-*-

*John Lennon*

I woke up this morning to a quiet house. That may seem normal, but recently it wasn't here.

Julian was a month away from his second birthday. He was becoming an independent lad, even at his young age. He was refusing to be dressed, claiming, in some way language that we were still trying to understand, that he could do it himself. To which Cyn would roll her eyes and say, "He's just like you". He liked his mess of toys, and every time he'd refuse to pick it up, Cynthia would use her ever-so-effective threat of "no more new toys...ever, if we can't clean this up", to which Julian would look at me and I'd shrug, suggesting he listen to his mother.

Cynthia left Julian with me while she went out to the marketplace. I had allowed him to bring his toys to the living room, while I strummed on my guitar. I had that tune in my head, and I was trying to find words. I have a few written now, but I wasn't entirely sure where I was going with this.

I looked at my handwriting. What was this song, anyway?

Here I stand head in hand
turn my face to the wall.

I have been trying to put meaning into the words for the last hour. All I've done is strum mindlessly on my guitar, while occasionally glancing at my son sitting on the carpet. I set my guitar down and looked at Julian. He was looking at a car very intensively. There wasn't much to look at really, but it was almost fascinating how he looked at the small wheeled toy.

"Whatcha got there?" I asked. He looked up, and brought the car up in my direction.

"Car." He spun the wheels with his small finger. I watched it spin, as I thought.

I can't believe how easily fascinating is wheel spinning on a toy car to a child. I suppose I was the same at a point in my life. But life isn't so simple once we've grown, now is it? I smiled and nodded at him, and he continued to play, giggling once in a while.

I leaned back on the couch and thought where it had all stopped being so simple. It was nearly impossible. Had it been after dad had decided to go? Had it been after Mimi took me with her? When Uncle George died? Had it been that afternoon I met Paul? Or, when my mum had died? No, simple hadn't been an adjective for my life.

I sat up again, looking outside my window. I started to wonder what Paul was doing. He had been acting different since he recovered from his illness. He spoke of nightmares, but never what of. I hadn't thought to ask him. As I thought of Paul, I glanced down at Julian. What would he think of Paul and I? Would he understand why? Probably not, since the world doesn't understand it.