Moments Like These

Paul couldn't believe his ears.

"What?" He asked. He was in disbelief, and couldn't think of anything else to say.

John said nothing. Instead, he smiled and nodded, seemingly convincing himself that the words he had spoken were true.

Paul shook his head, comprehending what he had just heard. He sighed, and leaned into John, putting his head on John's chest. Paul stayed silent. Why was John thinking this? Why was he saying this? Paul took a deep breath; not because he was hesitating on speaking again, but because it hurt to hear John say something like that.

"John," Paul said as he sat back up, "I want you to listen to every word I'm about to say to you. Every single one." John looked at him now, still silent. "I am not too good for you. Hell, I've always thought you were too good for me. I've never met someone like you. There isn't anyone in the world like you for me. I can't believe you don't realize that you are the best thing that's ever happened to me."

John still said nothing. He'd known Paul for years. They'd been together to quite an eventful year. But really, they'd been together since the beginning. That was true.

"I know what you're thinking, John. I know you're trying to convince yourself that what I've just said isn't true. That you aren't good enough for me. I just can't believe it; Out of anyone in the world, that it'd be you saying this to me." John laid back in his bed, hands covering his face. Paul sighed. And wondered if maybe he should think about what he says. His attitude softened. He looked at John, laying back in his bed, feeling vulnerable, again. He then wondered how many times he'd have to reassure John that he wasn't anything less than him.

"John?" Paul moved up towards John, "You are perfect to me, y'know? I don't think I'd be here without you. You know that." John didn't respond. Inatead, he took a deep breath, "Come on, love. Come on, get up. Talk to me, baby."

John slowly took his hands off his face, and looked at the ceiling. A smile formed on his face. Small, but a smile nonetheless.

"Paul, I don't understand what it is that keeps you here. You could've been everything you wanted to be. You could've gone to university. You could've made a good man out of yourself. But you're here, with me, of all people," John paused briefly and sat up, a grin forming on his face, "And I couldn't be more lucky."

Paul sniffed. He was trying not to cry, but he couldn't help but let a few tears escape his eyes. There was nothing more devastating to him than to see John like this.

"John, I don't ever want to hear you say I'm too good for you, okay?"

John nodded, because despite all that had happened and all his thoughts, Paul was right. And he knew Paul wouldn't leave him alone if he didn't show some sort of okay.

Paul smiled, and leaned into John again, who held him tightly this time. He looked up at the ticking clock, and wondered if they were suppose to be ready by now or not. But he didn't mind. He didn't want to. Not when he could be like this instead.

-*-

*Ringo Starr*

We left the hotel in a hurry. It was early, but the streets were packed. No, not with cars, but with young American girls, screaming and crying at the sight of our car.

I was very pleased to see the lads in their cheerful attitudes. For some reason, it has been a long time since we'd all been in a pleasantly good mood.

"I'd say I know what to expect from these girls, but no." John looked out the car window, waving at the American fans that were chasing down our car.