Chapter 38

Mikey and I were in bed together. It was past the middle of the night, but neither of us could sleep. We both knew this was our last night together. I sighed and rolled over so I was facing him. His eyes were closed, but I knew he was awake. I poked his nose. He opened his eyes with a smile. "Why are you awake?" he asked as he sat up.

"The same reason you are," I said with a shrug. "I can't sleep." He wrapped his arms around me and pecked my cheek.

"I don't know what to tell you then." I sighed and shook my head. I rested my head against his shoulder. His hands were rubbing small circles on my back. His hands were warm against my cold skin. I looked up at him and kissed his cheek. It was moments like these that make me realize why I love Mikey. Not the spontaneous dinner dates, not the fact that he would do anything for me, but rather that when we're together, we're comfortable with each other. We could be reading books for hours and never be bored.

"What do you want to do?" I asked.

"It is two in the morning, what can we do?" he asked with a small chuckle.

"Can we find something to do?" He looked at me skeptically. "I'm sure we can find something to do," I said excitedly. "Even if it's just us at a park." He turned on my desk lamp. "So is that a yes?"

"Go change," he told me. I smiled and pecked his lips. I jumped off the bed and grabbed a pair of pants. I didn't care that Mikey was in the room with me, I changed out of my pajamas and into my pants. I pulled on an Anthrax t-shirt before putting my shoes on. I looked over my shoulder to see Mikey putting on his glasses. I grabbed my phone and put it in my back pocket. "Out the window or the front door?"

"Well going down the stairs could cause a lot of noise and wake up my mom or Tony. The window seems like the best option," I said as I tied my hair up.

"Are you sure?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. I nodded. He opened the window. "Fine. I'll go down first since I'm used to it and so I can help you if you get stuck." I rolled my eyes. He disappeared out of the room. Cinder started meowing at me.

"Shh. I'll be back," I said and kissed the top of her head. I climbed out to the closest branch. I reached over and pulled down the window, not completely shut but enough to look like it's closed. I carefully walked down before landing next to Mikey. "Where to now?"

"Hmm...I don't know...coffee?" I smiled and nodded. "Coffee it is." I laced my fingers with his and started walking down the street. There was a coffee shop open 24 hours a day so we could easily go there. Mikey swung our arms playfully. I started singing a random song. He smiled and joined me. We began dramatically singing This Is Halloween. I skipped along to catch up with his quick steps. The streets were empty, obviously because it is the middle of the night. We crossed the street easily since there weren't any cars passing by. We entered the small coffee shop. The person on the counter looked up with a shocked expression.

"Oh, hello there," he said. "What would you like?"

"The usual?" Mikey asked me. I nodded at him. "Two French Vanilla, a banana muffin, and two cookies." I walked to a table by the windows and waited for Mikey to come. He carried our food and drinks over.

"Thanks, Mikey."

"Anytime babe," he told me and sat down. I leaned over and pecked his lips. I grabbed my cup and took a sip out of the hot, caffeinated drink.

"You realize the trouble we're going to get into, right?" I asked and took a piece of his banana muffin.

"What are my parents going to do? Ground me? They're already sending me across the country," he angrily stated. I looked away sadly. "Iris...I'm sorry." I shook my head. He reached over and caressed my cheek. I smiled and kissed his hand.