Chapter 44

"You threw the book at them?" I asked Iris. "I told you not to get in trouble." I was at lunch in school. I never ate in the lunchroom. I had no one to sit with and it was alway crowded. I either roamed the halls or sat outside.

"They threw a football at me!" she argued. I walked to my locker to grab my work for my next class.

"You gave one of them a concussion."

"Well they should have messed with me when I had a smaller sized book," she defended. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just trying to look out for you," I said to her. I heard her laugh. "What?" I opened the locker and saw a picture of Iris and me kissing. We took the last day we had together. I touched the photograph for a brief moment before continuing my first task.

"The fact that you've been in school for a month and you're still worried about me," she said with a laugh.

"I'll always look out for you," I stated with a smile. "What are you hiding?"

"Who says I'm hiding anything?" she questioned.

"You're avoiding the topic that you gave someone a concussion with a book," I said. Iris sighed out desperately.

"The police told my mom I have to be home schooled or else they're taking me from her." I remained quiet. "At this point, I don't have a choice."

"How badly were you hurt?" I asked.

"I just have a cut on my eyebrow and some bruises, but other than that I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" I asked in concern.

"Yes, Mikey. I'm perfectly fine," she assured me. "Your birthday is coming up."

"Yes, it is," I said. "And you know what comes the day before?"

"Hmm, I could have a small idea," she said. I could hear the smile in her voice.

"A year of us being a couple."

"Can't believe it has been a year since you kidnapped me and took me to see Green Day."

"I did not kidnap you," I said, a grin forming on my face. I shook my head slightly at her unique behavior. I walked out to the courtyard and sat in my usual place under a tree.

"You wanted to kidnap me."

"I mean, you were really pretty."

"Were?"

"You still are."

"That's more like it." I smiled and rolled my eyes at her. "What are you doing for your birthday?"

"Stay in my room," I said with a shrug.

"Who are you, Iris Quinn?" she joked.

"Technically not because you still hang out with Frank."

"Sometimes. Either way, we usually spend time in my house," she said. "Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"I'm in lunch. The lunch doesn't ring in another ten minutes," I informed her. "Does it matter? It's not like either of us pays attention in class."

"You are not allowed to fail school," she scolded me.

"Who are you, my mom?"

"If you want me to." I chuckled. "You put me in situations where I have to act like your mom."

"Most of the time it was me cleaning your wounds and kissing them better," I pointed out.

"I only want you to be my nurse," she said with a giggle. "Maybe one day I'll want you in a kinky nurse outfit."