Chapter Fifty-Six: Letting Him Off Easy?

Rosie's POV

*not a memory and not very edited

I didn't think I'd ever seen something so revolting.

The knife looked like an ordinary hunting knife, encased in a plastic evidence baggie to keep what we could intact.

Dean had come back only a few moments before with this unlikely gift. Vince, the little boy who was helping us, called and Dean came swooping in. It took less than a minute to find the knife. Apparently, it was simply hidden among Ricky's dad's tools. They were all construction tools though and I suppose no one really looked close enough to see the difference in the cutting utensils. It was clever, I had to admit, and ballsy. Hiding in plain sight.

So here we were.

I called Evan immediately, the prosecutor working the case. I had to give him this knife and see if he could get it to the lab to check for any DNA.

He was already quite frustrated with the case. I could see why. I wasn't known for being a loser and all the evidence was circumstantial. There wasn't anything hard that would stick as evidence.

Now, hopefully, there was.

As soon as I got off the phone, with a lunch meeting scheduled with Evan later on, I nearly toppled Dean by jumping on him.

I was so immensely pleased with this. Yes, I was disgusted and my scars were opened anew. But Dean had helped me with this. He had ensured that there was a good chance Ricky would never see the light of day again.

This kinda helped me put this into perspective. Dean was helping me. He was protecting me.

While I still felt like I had a good deal of pressure to succeed in this, a lot of this was on my shoulder after all, the girly part of me squealed in pleasure that he was trying to take over this aspect of the case; finding damning evidence. It was nice, to have a man take charge for once. Sam certainly hardly tried. He saw me as more capable than himself so he left everything to me. The bills, the planning for all major events, and so on. It was nice to have someone I could mother and take care of. It made me feel like I was needed.

However, it was better to know that Dean was more my equal. That I was still needed but that I could depend on him. I didn't need to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.

That was such a great, liberating feeling, I couldn't help but immediately want close contact. Could you blame me?

*****
Evan looked at the evidence carefully. I handed it to him with hardly a thought.

I knew he'd send it to the evidence lab. I hoped that Ricky would be stupid enough to not wash that properly. Soap and water was hardly enough to conceal things these days. Either way, I could always hope.

"I admit, I was surprised by your call" he said finally, tucking into his burger. This wasn't exactly a formal lunch, as you could see.

"I just felt like this case in particular needed a little extra attention. The sweep was not conducted to the fullest ability and it is an obstruction of justice leave out evidence" I said calmly.

I couldn't very well recount my experiences and traumas with Ricky. Or my burning hatred and thirst for revenge, could I?

He studied me a bit more before nodding his head.

"I understand" he said. He didn't talk about it any further, except to say that he was going to submit it as evidence, therefore getting it analyzed thoroughly.