Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Ending of the Present

Rosie's POV

I didn't think it would be possible to be normal again. Unafraid and ready to face the day head on. it was only a few weeks ago that I touched a part of my life I hoped to never see again. Crystal. Who knew that she could help me through this so flawlessly? I suppose having been in that place herself helped her sympathize. From what she told me, it was a hard trip even after she had her two little angels. Her husband left shortly after she gave birth. I couldn't believe all that she had to go through. For her to be able to smile again... it made me hopeful that I could smile too.

Hope was a wonderful thing. 

As I found out, I had options. Could you imagine? everything always looks dark while in depression. You become closed off and keep spiraling down a void without a way to help yourself and closed off to other resources. crystal... didn't have time for that. She slapped me awake and helped me see what I was doing. 

I wasn't going to become a shadow of what I used to be. I refused. So what if I couldn't start at the same place I left off? Sure, I couldn't be a lawyer. There were other jobs out there.

Crystal already kicked me into gear and we went job hunting. today, we were going to shop for interview clothes. not that I needed them, the places I applied for were hardly fancy, but I felt like dressing nice made one feel better and more confident.

It wasn't easy. In fact, I still struggled with me new 'career path'. But my floor wasn't littered with liquor bottles anymore.

The sun hit my face as it did every day but I felt the warmth and smiled.

What a wondrous feeling it was to want to live.

 *****

"I'll see you tomorrow! Text me!" I yelled to the open car window, as I walked to my building.

"Why don't you text that cutie that gave you his number instead?" Crystal wiggled her eyebrows with a grin.

I simply laughed and shook my head. I was feeling better but not quite ready for dating.

"Think about it at least! Bye!" Crystal waved goodbye while rolling away from the curb to my apartment building. I started up the stairs to get inside the modest building, carrying three full bags in hand. 

Well. At least it seemed like a productive day. Even though we mostly just spent money and caught up. So many years passed us by but it honestly seemed so easy to fall back into rhythm with her. There were too many things to tell each other though. It was exciting to do, filling someone in on the details of your past. I found myself pouring everything out in a way I could to my therapist. To be fair, Crystal did the same. She was just happy to be reunited.

It's funny. I would've never found her if I hadn't left Dean. She lived so far away, yet so much closer than I could have imagined. I didn't know if it was worth it yet but I knew I was grateful for her. To actually know that she was safe and happy... and to have her support? It was invaluable to me.

I actually felt productive and hopeful. I couldn't ask for more.

Except maybe to be held again. I didn't want to go to bed lonely again. Ah well. What was there to do about it?

Dean destroyed me. Sam came along, added insult to injury. Then they both insulted me further before I finally just left. What more was there? A fresh start. That's all.

Maybe texting that guy wasn't a bad idea after all...

A small smile made its way onto my face. It was a looooooong time since I had been in this spot, thinking about a boy and debating texting him. Had I ever truly done it? Honestly, those little butterflies never really had a chance to make a home in my belly. I felt like a teenager again. Was that a good thing?