Chapter Thirty-Seven: "Put the Lotion in the Basket"

I studied the man before me, not sure if I wanted to try to strangle him or if I wanted to burst out in tears.

Actually, I wanted to do both.

But I couldn't do either one of them.

For one thing, Ricky was flanked by guards and I would be pulled off him before I could do any significant damage.

Besides, that would get me off the case (conflicting interests) and I wouldn't be able to carry out my plan.

I was going to make sure he was put away this time. Here was my opportunity to see him suffer, an opportunity that I didn't take before.

And a young girl suffered for my cowardice.

His victim was named Mary, a cute girl with black ringlets. She didn't deserve what he did to her. But then again, no one does.

This man didn't deserve to be here at all. He didn't deserve to live another day, another minute, smiling that smug smile.

I hated him. I can't do this.

I have to do this.

“Hello, Rose” he purred. I kept my face blank. I couldn't dare show him how much he still affected me; how much fear and disgust he still inspired in me.

“I think it's best to keep it professional” I told him.

See, I was only here to screw over Ricky. If I didn't represent him, someone with less moral would do it and actually try to get this bastard out of prison. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't take the chance. At least this way I could make sure that his path to a death sentence was a smooth one.

“Why? You do know that I love you, don't you? Isn't that why you agreed to defend me?” he asked, that smirk still in place.

I tried to school my face into a blank expression.

How could one man really be that insane? Didn't he remember what he'd done to me?

“Something like that” I said blandly.

Something crossed his face and an old thought came up.

I had to play along to meet my end goals. I had to play his sick, twisted game.

Representing him meant that he could trust me with information I wouldn't otherwise have. Information that I could give to the lawyer of that poor family. It would be dynamite ammunition against us, against Ricky.

If I played along, he might just give me the key I needed to put him away.

So I pasted a smile on my face even as I wanted to throw up.

I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't believe that I'm actually face to face with this man. How am I not sobbing in fear?

How?

He'd taken so much from me. So much that he didn't even know.

I thought about the last few years, my agonized longing for a child, and felt the hatred burn me from inside.

Could I really do this?

“I knew you'd come to my rescue” he cooed. My hands trembled with the effort not to punch him.

“Of course” I forced the smile even more because it was beginning to fall.

“You know, right before I was arrested, I was going to surprise you at home. But I was so happy, so excited and impatient that I picked up a girl to calm myself down. She looked so similar to you, Rose. But she wasn't a good girl so I had to teach her a lesson. And then I never got to surprise you because I was caught by those fucking pigs” Ricky's smile was just like I remembered. But I hadn't been able to see the craziness he hid behind it, not then.