Chapter Fifty-One: Sullied

Rosie's POV

Memory Continued

It was my forth week on the job. Somehow, it got easier as time went by. I just bore it the best I could. To make it a little easier on myself, I was still paranoid after all, I started bumming rides with Nicky and Vicky. That way I could leave the car for Dean, who started his new job only a few days after I did.

He seemed happy. He worked at a Menards and got along relatively well with everyone, from what I could see.

I actually visited him a few times at work and I have to say, I never expected to like it so much in there. I've never had cause to go inside it before and I can't say the names of more than a handful of tools but I just loved being inside the store. There's just so much stuff that I found utterly fascinating. And the half built bathrooms and doorways, stairs and plants, and patio furniture that were set up. I loved those the most. I could just sit there all day.

Definitely better than Home Depot. Though I can't exactly define why.

Either way, things weren't going all that bad for us.

Except that, of course, Ruby still hung around the house when I was gone. That bugged me to no end. Apparently, she was a waitress at the club where the twins and I worked and she just gave me a knowing smirk every time I saw her.

When I danced, I could feel her beady eyes on me beyond the lustful ones of any other person.

I couldn't understand why this chick kept turning up everywhere I went but Nicky informed me that Ruby actually got them into this job. Of course, she was the friend of Vicky, who still hated my guts. It was a tame form of hate though so we weren't in any danger of ripping each other's throats out.

Ruby on the other hand...

Anyway, I was scared to death she was going to tell Dean of my new job. I knew that if it ever occurred to her, she would do it just to drive us apart. Dean would probably be hurt, above everything else, that he had to hear it from Ruby and not me.

The logical thing to do was to tell him before she did. That way we could work through it together.

But I wasn't known for my bravery and I definitely wasn't feeling brave when I thought of breaking the news to him.

We finally had some extra money. It wasn't much but finally, we had a little wiggle room. We could pay for everything we needed now. We were self-sufficient at last.

I couldn't imagine Dean would be okay with me stripping for the pleasure of other men. I really couldn't see myself willing to give this up. I was finally taking care of myself, the right way. I finally had wiggle room.

I didn't want us to have any more problems. If Ruby told on me, well, I'd be fucked.

"What are you thinking about?" Nicky asked, pouting at herself in the bathroom mirror, trying a new lipstick shade. We were about to go get dressed for work. We were just waiting for Vicky, who was using the bathroom.

At her question, I just sighed and shook my head.

"I have no idea what to do with Dean. I don't want to keep this from him but I don't want to drive him away either. What did you do?" I asked her.

I mean, she must understand right? She had a boyfriend too.

"Yeah. I just told my boy about it. He didn't mind. He likes the extra income" she turned to me, leaning against the sink.

I groaned. Well, that's no help at all.

She stared at me, studying me, and shrugged.

"You might want to tell him. If Ruby ever gets the idea to tell him herself, you're screwed" she advised.