Chapter Thirty: Her Crushing Disappointment

WARNING: NOT EDITED AT ALL!!

I've always found “mother” to be a funny title. Don't you? There are abused kids all over the globe who are abused or neglected and still call their parent “mother” even though they loathe her with a passion. I felt the same way. “Mother” is nothing more than an empty title. For it to hold any real significance, it has to have meaning and love behind it.

That's how I could call my own parent “mother”. It's just an empty title. Nothing more. She deserved nothing more from me. Not after all this time.

Not even with the current circumstances.

I was waiting for my mother to make her grand appearance. I had called her this morning and couldn't possibly dread her visit any more than I already was.

I already knew what her reaction was going to be for the things I had to tell her but I had no choice. I couldn't just ignore her or her misery for the rest of my life. It simply wasn't right.

I had to tell her that I couldn't help her. I had to let her know exactly what her situation was.

I was feeling useless all over again.

“Hello” her eyes were as cold as a snake's, sizing me up quickly and becoming slightly warmer when she noticed how messed up I looked.

“I can't help you” I told her plainly, bracing myself right after.

I shouldn't have bothered. Her eyes were stark cold, calculating and disappointed but she didn't strike me, as I had expected.

“Is that so?” her smile was anything but happy. I grew nervous and fearful just by seeing it.

“I'm so sorry. I was reviewing your case but there is literally no evidence pointing to Walter being the perpetrator in this crime. Without you to identify a body to have solid proof that the girl is really dead, we can't even make that claim” I said pointedly.

Her eyes narrowed.

“So what you're telling me that you are useless” she summed up. I felt a strike right to the heart even though I was beyond the point where I could be hurt by her.

I don't think I'll ever reach that point.

“To nab Walter in a purely legal way, you have to hire a detective you can trust. I don't know very many myself but I might be able to dig one up for you” I offered. Her head cocked to the side.

“What do you mean 'in a purely legal way'? You made the distinction. Why?” she asked slowly, as of working it out in her head as she was asking. I swallowed.

“Because I don't think that legal justice is what you really want. I think you want Walter to pay properly for what he did. Having him in jail, if he even stays, isn't going to give you that satisfaction. Prisons barely seem like a punishment anymore” I said, sadly because I knew it was a true and horrible fact.

Her eyes turned considering.

“So what do you have in mind?” she asked, slowly again as she eyed me. I struggled to get the words out.

What I was about to do was going against literally every cell in my body.

“You said that dad had left his previous family?” I asked her, just to clarify. She nodded, prompting me. I squatted down next to her, moving close as if it would make the words I was about to speak any less audible.

“You might just want to take this in your own hands” I said quietly. She appraised me, a twisted smile playing with her ruby lips.

“What, you think that just because I'm a hooker, I'm a murderer?” she asked, shaking her head like I was amusing her.