Chapter 1

"Get the fuck up!!!" My mom screamed.

As you can see, I don't get along with my mom very well.

"Okay!" I screamed back.

She left my room mumbling a few swear words.
Ever since my father left us, she's been acting out. I got up and went to the bathroom to freshen up and prepare for my first day of school.
I brushed my teeth and brushed the knots out of my brown hair. I did light makeup and went straight back to my room. I got dressed in light blue jeans and a plain white crop top. I packed my bag and grabbed my phone. I went downstairs and said bye to my mom who wasn't even listening. I picked up my black penny board and skated to my new school. It was the middle of the year so I didn't even understand why I had to go.

I got there a little early. I carried my penny board through a crowd of students. As I walked to the front door, a boy hit my butt. I turned around with a face of disgust.

"Shit... Um... Sorry." He hesitated. He probably knew about my past.

"Just don't do it again." I told him.

He walked back to his group of friends scratching the back of his head. His friends laughed but one of them just stared at me. I turned back to my original path and headed for the office. It seemed like he was just staring at me but I'm pretty sure I was just paranoid.

I got to the office and the lady at the front desk asked if I was the new student. I nodded my head and she told me to wait a minute. The bell rang and the wave of students entered the school. I looked over my shoulder just to make direct eye contact with the boy who had been staring at me outside. I quickly turned back around and took a deep breath.

"Are you okay dear?" The lady asked concerned.

"Yeah. I'm just a little nervous." I adjusted my bag.

"Don't be! Here is your schedule. If you need anything, my name is Ms. McMillan." She handed me my schedule and some extra pieces of paper for my mom. I thanked her and headed to my first period class which was math. My best subject.

I stepped into the class while the teacher was giving out the class work.

"Ah. You must be Briana. I'm Mr. Tuyu. You can call me Mr. T." He said.

"Um yeah. But I go by Bree." I said.

"Okay. Bree. Why don't you have a seat next to..." he looked around the room and pointed to a boy in the back. The boy that I saw this morning.

"Grayson."

Grayson automatically looked up and stared directly into my eyes.

So that was his name. I thought to myself.

I quickly turned to face Mr. T as he handed me the classwork. I walked down the aisle and plopped down into my seat, putting my backpack and penny board beside me. I glanced over at Grayson who was purposely covering his face. Class went on easily. Every so often I would look over at Grayson and he would be staring at his paper or at Mr. T.

The bell rang and I rushed out of the door and headed to the gym. I asked a girl who Mr. Jefferson was and she pointed over to a coach doing paper work. Then she went down into the locker room.

I walked over to Mr. Jefferson. "Excuse me?"

He looked up. "Yes?"

"Um. My name is Bree Ryans. I'm your new student."

"Oh. Okay. Well let me get you a uniform." He was about to get up but I stopped him. He seemed confused.

"I have a doctors note. I'm not allowed to do any physical activity until I'm up to weight." I handed him the note and read it.

He exhaled loudly. "Alright. Well, you can help me with some simple paperwork. Just go through these papers and check off their names on this sheet."

I was doing his paperwork for the entire period. Some girls gave me dirty looks but others were kind to me. These two girls named Paige and Venus were really nice to me and invited me to eat lunch with them. I accepted even though I wasn't going to eat anyway. The bell rang and I said bye to Mr. Jefferson.

My next class was science, but before heading to class, I stopped by my locker and put my penny board inside along with my math folder. I was half way to class when the bell rang.

"Shit." I mumbled to myself. I hurried to the science wing and walked into class.

"Are you Briana Ryans?" she asked.

I nodded. "I go by Bree."

"Okay Bree. I am Mrs. Davis. We're gonna need to talk after class so I can give you some papers." I nodded again.

She smiled and told me to sit next to a boy named Alex. I recognized the him from the boy group at the front of the school. I shook him off and focused on my work. Class went by quick. Then the bell rang for lunch.