Chapter 13

"Wake up Bree!" The twins yelled. They started jumping on the bed and landed on me.
"Okay. Okay. What time is is?" I asked.
"7:35." Peyton answered.
Shit. I was supposed to be at school 35 minutes ago. Whatever.
"What time does your school start?" I asked them.
"8:15. You need to help us get ready!" Sage answered getting off the bed and running to the door. I got up and asked them what they do first.
"Well. First we brush our teeth. Then we eat breakfast and then we change into our clothes." Peyton told me.
"Okay. Well go brush your teeth. What do you guys usually eat for breakfast?"
They were going up the stairs when they turned around to answer me.
"Um. Cereal." Then they rushed upstairs and disappeared behind the corner.
I walked to the kitchen and saw a note on the table.
I didn't want to wake you or the girls up. Their school starts at 8:15. You can just have them lead you to the school. -Tyde
I heard the girls run back down the stairs. Soon they were standing next to me.
"You have to help us get the cereal." Sage said taking a seat. Peyton sat next to her. They pointed at a cabinet and I opened it. There were three but they kept screaming at me.
"Get the Lucky Charms!"
I laughed and grabbed it and put it in the table in front of them. I grabbed two bowls from a shelf and placed it in front of them. They took turns putting the cereal into their bowls as I gave them spoons. I helped them pour in the milk since I didn't want to clean up a mess. They ate and talked to each other.
"Are you gonna eat?" Sage asked.
I shook my head. "I'm not really hungry." She shrugged and went back to eating. I quickly went to the guest room to get my phone. Then I ran back to the kitchen and the girls were putting their empty bowls in the sink. I looked at my phone to check the time. 7:53.
"Hurry up and go change or else you're going to be late. I'll wash the bowls for you." I said.
They skipped out of the kitchen and I washed their bowls.
By 8 o'clock, they were at the front door yelling for me to hurry up. I realized that I still haven't changed out of my clothes from yesterday and my hair was a mess. I rushed into the bathroom and quickly put my hair into a messy bun. I looked in the mirror. I guess sweats were okay. I jogged to the front door and Peyton was standing there holding a set of keys.
"These are for you!" She said happily. I smiled and thanked her. We stepped out of the house and I closed the door behind me. They started walking and I followed close behind. We walked a few blocks in about 10 minutes and soon we were at the school.
"Bye Bree!" They yelled and waved.
"Bye!" I smiled and waved back. Then they entered the school and I started walking back to the house.
I became lost when I took a wrong turn. I took my phone out and realized I had no ones number so I just walked around the neighborhood. As I was crossing the street, a car honked at me. I looked at the car and noticed that the driver was Mrs. Hunter. She gestured for me to get into the car so I did.
"Thank you." I said buckling up.
"No. Thank you for walking the girls to school." She started driving.
"So how's Grayson?" I asked.
"He's good. He has to stay at the hospital a little bit longer but he should be fine. I was about to go get him some food." She replies.
"Can I visit Gray with you?" I asked.
"Of course! But what about school?"
"I have a higher chance of hurting at school and Gray is kind of the only person who can help me calm down." I explained.
"Hurting?" She seemed concerned.
"Gray didn't tell you?" She shook her head no.
"Well. I'm kind of a 'medical mystery'. My head will start hurting like crazy and the pain just travels up and down my spine and it's just terrible. Medicines don't work on me for some reason but Gray somehow calms me and then the pain just goes away." We stopped at a fast food restaurant by the time I was done explaining.
"Wow." She seemed surprised. We went through the drive-thru and Mrs. Hunter started ordering some food.
"You want anything?" She asked me.
"No thank you. I'm okay."

We picked up the food and started driving to the hospital. We got there in about 15 minutes and throughout the ride, we just listened to music and talked about random things.
She parked the car and led me to Gray's hospital room.
She opened the door and let me walk in first.
"There's someone here to visit you." She said putting the food on the table. I walked in and Gray smiled.
"Hey." I said quietly walking over to him.
"Hi." He smiled and held my hand.
"Mom. Can Bree and I have a moment? Alone." He put extra emphasis on the alone part. Mrs. Hunter smiled and took some of her food outside and left us alone.
"Can you tell me why you did it?" I asked him taking a seat.
He exhaled sharply.
"If I tell you, you can't tell anyone." He sat up and I nodded my head.
"Well. When you mentioned my dad last night, I kind of broke down because I recently lost him too. But I had a connection with him. He was the only person I could talk to. After I lost him, I fell into depression. Tyde and my mom kept it secret. That's why no one knows about it."
"I'm really sorry. But can I ask something else?"
"Yeah. Shoot." His eyes started glistening from tears and I knew my question was going to make him start sobbing.
I let the question escape my mouth.
"How did he die?"