Chapter 18

He slammed on the brakes which caused me to fall forward but he put his arm up in front of me before I hit the dashboard.
The family looked at us in shock and Gray held his hand up, signaling he was sorry. The adults pushed the kids forward so that they finished crossing the road. Gray started driving again, this time more slowly. We drove back to the house in complete silence. I kept looking over at Gray and he was gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles were turning white.
He parked the car in the driveway and quickly hopped out of the car and ran into the house. I got out of the car and walked slowly to the front door. Mrs. Hunter was standing there with her head turned at Gray who was climbing the stairs two at a time.
"Is everything alright?" She asked me.
"He was driving kind of fast and we almost hit a family. I think he's just shocked." I explained.
I heard a door slam and Sage came running down from the stairs frantically.
"Mommy! Mommy!" She cried.
"What's wrong sweetheart?" Mrs. Hunter asked, crouching down so that she was level with Sage.
"Gray! He hit Peyton!"
What was wrong with him? Why would he hit his own sister.
Peyton slowly came down the stairs holding her cheek with tears in her eyes.
"Mommy..." She whined. Mrs. Hunter got up to carry Peyton down the rest of the stairs and into the living room.
"I thought you said Gray was gonna be okay! You promised!" Sage yelled at me. Mrs. Hunter looked over to us but I gave her a look that signaled that it was okay. She turned back around to face Peyton who was still crying.
"He is okay. He's just a little sad right now." I said.
"You need to tell him to say sorry to Peyton!" She stomped her foot and pointed at the staircase.
I crouched down just like Mrs. Hunter earlier.
"I will." I told her, stroking her hair. She nodded and went over to Peyton who was calmer.
I ascended the staircase and walked over to Gray's room. His door was locked so I knocked.
"Gray. We need to talk." I said. I heard something drop and some shuffling. Then the door opened, revealing a red eyed Grayson. He let me in and closed the door shut immediately.
"What's going on?" I asked him sitting down on his bed. I patted a space next to me and he sat down. He was playing with his fingers and wasn't talking.
"Come on Gray." I said, putting my hand on his thigh and staring directly at him. He looked up from his fingers and into my eyes.
"That's the thing. I don't know what's going on. I just... I just... I don't know." He struggled.
"And that's fine. We can talk more but your sister is downstairs and waiting for an apology." I told him. He nodded and wiped his tears away before getting up. I was going to follow him but he told me to stay put. I obeyed and let him go. I looked around his room as he was downstairs. I saw his trophies and a lot of exercise equipment. There were also some family pictures. Cute.
Being the curious girl I am, I walked into his bathroom. The first thing I noticed was a pill bottle on the floor. Pills were everywhere on the floor. I picked it up and read the label.
Propoxyphene.
I opened one of his cabinets to find more bottles.
Methadone
Oxycodone
Meperidine
"What are you doing?" I turned around and saw Gray.
I held the bottles in my hand. "Gray... What are these?"
"They're nothing. They're just pain killers." He grabbed them out of my hand and put them back into the cabinet. His injury. Okay.
"Come on. Let's talk." I said, walking out back over to his bed. I sat down and Gray sat in front on me so that we were facing each other.
"I just don't know what to do." He said, grabbing my hand.
"I know that feeling. And you know what? You were the one who helped me through all of it. Let me help you." I scooted a bit closer to him. He smiled and looked at me. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment. He leaned in and so did I. Our lips touched. Gray put his hand on my cheek and I swung my arms around his neck. I pulled him down on top of me. We broke the kiss to get more comfortable. I took off my windbreaker and threw it to the side.
"Is it later?" He smirked. I laughed as he took off his shirt and came back on top of me. We kissed for a bit longer just like before. He placed kisses on my jawline and neck. His kisses traveled farther down to my chest and his hand made its way under my shirt. I ran my hand through his hair. He stopped kissing me and took off my shirt.
"Are you sure?" He asked.
I nodded in response and we both smiled at each other as he came back down to plant a kiss on my stomach.