Chapter 22

I couldn't help but stare at the scene. Tyde on the floor with a bullet in the side of his head with blood still gushing out. Gray bent over his mom crying as blood was soaking both of their shirts. It seemed unreal.
I took my phone out and dialed 911. Police, paramedics, and firemen were at the house in minutes. I had to basically pull Gray off of his mom to let the paramedics examine her. Police kicked us out of the room and we were in the living room. Gray was crying hard. An officer was trying to calm him down but nothing was working.
"Can you give us a minute?" I asked.
The officer nodded his head and was about to walk away when I stopped him.
"Wait. There are two little girls in the room down the hall. His sisters. Can you get them and just try to explain what happened?"
"Of course. Which room?"
I gave him the directions and he walked to the room.
"Gray. Look at me." I said to Gray.
"She's gone." Is all he managed to get out. Then he started crying harder. I felt a tear run down my cheek.
"Hey. Listen to me. I know how you feel okay? I know exactly what it's like to lose people important in your life. But you know what?" Gray looked up at me with a tear stained face:
"What?"
"You are the one who helped me get through it. You always told me that everything was going to be okay."
"I know. I just don't know what to do anymore."
"That's what I thought. But you got me to see the good things that were happening. You still have your beautiful little sisters. You still have other family. You still have me."
He pulled me into a hug. We sat there for a while until the police officer came out with Sage and Peyton. They were crying too.
"Mommy is gone?" Sage whimpered.
"And Tyde?" Peyton added.
I nodded my head and they ran into my arms. They cried their hearts out and I cried with them.
"Are you ready to answer some questions?" The officer asked Gray. He nodded his head and went outside to talk. I broke the hug with the girls and had them sit on the couch. I kneeled on the floor and held both of their hands.
"You promised that everything was going to be okay..." Peyton whispered.
"I'm sorry I broke our promise. I really am. But you just have to trust me. Everything will work out."
"Promise?" Sage asked.
"I can't promise anything anymore. We can just hope." I told them. Their crying died down and soon all of their tears were gone, but they still had red eyes.
"Stay here and play. If a policeman comes over to talk to you, just talk. Tell them what they want to know. Okay?"
They nodded their heads and went back to silently playing.
I went outside to look for Gray and I spotted him with the officer in front of a police car.
"We found some drugs in your brothers' room. Did you know about any of this?" The officer asked him.
"Not until this morning. I saw him with a group of guys smoking." Gray responded.
"You okay?" I butted in. I put my hand on his shoulder and he looked at me with sad eyes.
He gave a slight nod and turned back to the officer.
"Actually. That's all we need. I'll see if any of the officers need anything. Other than that, you're free to do as you please. But not in the house."
"Not in the house? Where are we gonna sleep tonight? We have to change out of these swim suits and into real clothes! What about my sisters?" Gray was practically yelling.
"We have made reservations at Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills. One week." The officer told us.
I never knew that they did that for people. Probably because we were just teens.
"I'm not a minor. I'm 18." Gray informed the officer.
"That doesn't change anything. You can either take our offer or sleep on the streets." The officer walked away and Gray was about to tackle him but I held him back.
"Let's just go back into the house to get our stuff and the girls. We'll just stay at the hotel. No big deal."
Gray calmed down and ran his hand through his hair. We walked back into the house and there were some officers that stopped us but we explained that we were just going to get some clothes and other things.
Gray offered to go get my stuff along with his and I thanked him. I went into the living room but didn't see the girls.
"Excuse me. Where are the two girls that were here at first?" I asked one of the officers.
"Are you a legal guardian of them?" He asked.
"No. My boyfriend is though." I assumed.
"Well is your boyfriend 18?"
"Yeah he is."
"Okay. We just need him to sign a document to get the girls back."
"Back?" I was confused.
"Yes. They are two little girls without parents. They're orphans."
Gray came around the corner with two suitcases and a bag over his shoulder.
"I got the twins stuff too. Where are they anyway?"
"You need to sign papers. You are one of their legal guardians right?" I asked him.
He pauses for a second. "Yeah. I am."
The officer showed us to his cop car. The twins were in the backseat. He opened the door and let them out. He handed Grayson a clipboard and told him to sign the papers. Gray skimmed through it and signed the bottom of the sheet.
"Thank you. You guys can head to the hotel now."
"Come on girls." I said as I held their hands. We walked to Gray's car and he loaded all the stuff in the trunk. I buckled in the girls in the backseat. I got into the passenger seat and Gray got into the car. He buckled up and turned the engine on.
The ride was silent the entire 30 minutes. The only sound was the music from the radio. As we rode along, I just thought to myself.
None of this would've happened if we had just gone to school this morning. If we hadn't caught Tyde. If I hadn't gone to the same school as Gray. If I hadn't even met him. I would have never broken up a tightly bonded family. It was all my fault.