Chapter 10

The officer continued to ask me question but I was too shaken up to even pay attention.

"When can I visit my mom?" I asked the officer.

"Right after you're done answering my questions." He said sternly.

"For the last time, I don't know anything about her! I just know that she started taking medicine because of her depression after my dad left us. But it's been two years, and I didn't even know she continued to take the pills."

He nodded and wrote one last thing down on his notepad. I looked over at Grayson and he was staring at the notepad. Probably trying to read what he was writing. Once he was finished, he lifted his pen and pointed to another officer.

"Go talk to him for the details." He said. Then he turned his back on us and walked away.

Grayson out his arm around me and helped me over to the other officer.

"You must be Bree." He said.

I nodded. "How's my mom?"

"Well, the paramedics said she was in critical condition. They don't know how much she consumed, yet. But they think her chances of surviving are pretty slim."

I cried harder.

"Which hospital is she at?" Grayson asked as he pulled me closer.

"Lincoln Health Center. You know the address?" The officer replied.

"Yes. Thank you."

He walked me to his car. I sat in the passenger seat and he drove. We got to the hospital in ten minutes. All of my tears had dried, but I still couldn't find my voice. Grayson told me to sit down in the waiting room as he walked over to the front desk and asked the lady sitting there about my mom. He nodded his head a little and walked back to me.

"The doctors are checking her." He said while sitting next to me.

I put my head on his shoulder and grabbed his hand.

"It's not going to be okay." I said quietly.

"I'm sorry Bree. I really am." He kissed the top of my head.

Thirty minutes passed and we still hadn't heard anything from the doctor. Grayson was doing nothing. He was on twitter and he just scrolled through the tweets. It didn't even seem like he was reading them.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I said getting up. He looked at me, grinned, and went back to his phone. I walked to the desk and asked where the bathroom was.

"Go down this hall and turn left. The second door on you right." She advised me.

I thanked her and started shuffling toward the bathroom. I thought about my mom the way there.

I opened the bathroom door and locked it. Then, I broke down.

I punched the wall multiple times until the knuckles on both of my hands were bloody and bruised. I continued to cry. I couldn't make up a time where I cried this much. I sat in the corner with my knees close to my chest and my arms wrapped around them. I stayed there and let the tears fall down my face and onto my arms until someone knocked on the door.

"Bree?" It was Grayson.

"What?" I said weakly.

"The doctor came to talk to me."

I shot up and opened the door.

"What did he say?" I asked wiping away the rest of the tears.

"First of all, he is a she." He said.

I punched him in the shoulder which probably hurt me more than it hurt him. My bruised knuckles started to throb.

"Fine. What did she say?"

He put his arm over me and walked me to the room. He opened the door for me and I saw my mom lying there in a white hospital gown, tucked into the bed in white sheets. No machines. No nothing. Just her and the bed and a couple of chairs.

"You must me Bree. My name is Dr. Gordon. Your mom came in critical condition. Unfortunately we weren't able to save her. I'm very sorry. You have five minutes to say your goodbyes."

And with that, Dr. Gordon and the nurse left the room.

I buried my head into Grayson's chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I push him away so lightly and put a hand on his shoulder. I looked him in the eye. He got my message and left the room as well.

I went over to my moms side and sat on the chair.

"Hey mom." I felt the sting of tears in my eyes but I was able to fight them.

"I know you can't hear me. But I just wanna say that... I'm sorry. For never appreciating you. For never listening to you. For... Everything. I just wish that you would have told me what you were doing. What was going on in your life. If I knew, I would have wanted to help you like you helped me. I really thought that things would change and get better. But I see you now and..." That's when I couldn't fight back the tears.

I sniffled and reached my arm out and tucked her hair behind her ear. She would do that with her hair when I was a little girl. My lips curled into a grin. It made her look young again.

"Im sorry that I never told you I love you."

Those were the last words I said as the doctor came in with a straight face, signaling that it was time to leave. I got up once again and kissed my mom on her ice cold forehead. Then I left my mom.

I didn't see Grayson; so I walked over to the waiting room. He was sitting there with his head in his hands and when I called his name, he looked at me with red eyes.

"Ms. Ryans?"

Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around. It was the nurse that was in the room earlier.

"I'm going to need you to sign some papers. You are 18 right?"

"I'll be 18 in like two weeks." I told her.

"That's fine. Come with me."

She led me to an office area and handed me some papers and told me where to sign. I didn't have to read any of it since she just explained what I was going to be doing.

I was done pretty quick and she thanked me and put the papers in a file.

I made my way back to the waiting room and Grayson was still sitting there.

I walked up to him. "Let's go."

We walked to his car and drove back to my house in silence.

Once we reached my house, I gave Grayson a kiss on the cheek and got out of the car. I walked to the door and unlocked it. I entered my house to an unfamiliar coldness. I closed the door behind me and stood there for a while. I thought about my mom. I looked at the stairs and made my way to it. I went up the steps and my feet led me to my moms room. The door was already open. I walked into her bathroom. I opened her cabinets and found multiple empty pill bottles along with some razors.

How long has she been like this?

I went back to the bedroom and saw that the sheets were a little messy so I fixed it. After that, I just decided to clean up everything for her.

I threw out her pill bottles and razors. I wiped everything down and stood back and noticed how dirty her room was. I closed the window shades and I felt like crying once again but I knew I had cried enough for a day. I took a deep breath and calmed myself. I walked to the door. I turned around and took one last look at everything until I closed the doors for good.