Chapter 14

"Um..." He hesitated to answer.
"If you don't want to answer it's fine. I was just wondering--"
"No." He interrupted. "I need to."
He took a deep and shaky breath. Then he started talking.
"My dad was a marine. He served for 3 years and he came back. Healthy and happy. Then he was called back. He left and we were all proud of him. We didn't worry that much about it until one day there was a knock on our door. Two other soldiers with a flag and a book. My mom was already in tears when she opened the door." Tears started coming down his face.
He let go of my hand to wipe the tears.
"He was a big part of my life. He was the reason I started getting into all these different sports. I wanted to be just like him. I wanted to make him proud."
I took his hand just like he did to me when I was in the hospital.
"I know how you feel. Losing someone important to you is hard. But thank you. Thank you for telling me." I gave a warm smile and he returned one too.
There was a knock on the door and a doctor came on in along with Mrs. Hunter.
"Grayson? I need to check your injury. If it's healing well, you'll be able to go home tomorrow." He said. I got up and let him stand where I was sitting. I walked over to the other side of the bed and placed my hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. Mrs. Hunter stood next to me.
"Okay. You might feel a little sting." The doctor said as he lifted up the bandage. Grayson flinched when the doctor touched his stitches. A nurse came in with a new bandage and some scissors.
Once the doctor was finished, he took of his gloves and threw them away.
"Well. He seem to be perfectly fine. He can leave tomorrow but you'll have to come back every other day just so I can check your stitches. They should be perfectly healed in a week." He said, directing most of what he said to Mrs. Hunter. She nodded.
"Mrs. Hunter, I'm going to need you to sign some papers. Please come with me." The doctor said. She nodded once again and left the room. I sat back down in the chair I was in before and took out my phone.
"Can I get your number?" I asked him shyly.
He chuckled and took his phone from his side and handed it to me.
"Here." He smiled. I laughed and took his phone. We traded numbers and then gave our phones back to each other.
"Call me if you need anything. I need to go." I told him.
"Can you stay just a bit longer?" He grabbed my arm as I got up. I gave him a reassuring smile and told him I needed to go. I gave him a kiss on the forehead and said goodbye.
I almost bumped into Mrs. Hunter as I exited the room.
"Where are you going?" She asked sweetly.
"Oh. I'm gonna go back to my house. Just to check in on some stuff." I told her.
"Do you need me to drive you?"
"No. It's okay. Stay with Gray. I'll just call for a taxi or something."
She grinned and gave me a little hug and went back on her path to Gray's room. I took my phone out and called for a taxi to pick me up. I waited outside the hospital for about 5 minutes until it came. I got in and told the driver the address of my house and he started driving. It took a good 20 minutes to get back to the house. During the ride, I was on my phone scrolling through Instagram and Twitter. I've gained so many followers after the incident that it's crazy. I would gain almost 200 followers everyday.
I was about to put away my phone when Gray called me.
"Hey." He said.
"Do you need something?" I asked, a little concerned.
"Yeah. I needed to here your voice." Aww. He is so sweet.
"Gray. It's been like 30 minutes." I laughed. I saw the driver smile in the mirror.
"I know. I just wanted someone to talk to."
"What about your mom?"
"She had to leave for work. I'm really bored."
"Aww. Sucks for you."
"Aye! Come on! I'm injured!" He exclaimed.
"Woah! Just chill. I was joking." I laughed.
I heard him chuckle. "I know it was just a joke. Are you gonna visit tonight?"
"I don't know. Probably."
"Cool. Call me if you choose to." He said.
"Okay. I need to go Gray. Bye."
"Bye babe." Then he hung up.
Babe? I smiled when he called me that. It made me feel special.
We arrived at my house. I thanked the driver but I didn't have any money on me.
"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I don't have any money."
"Oh. That's fine."
"Really?"
"Yeah. It seems you've had it rough."
I sighed. "Yeah. I've been having difficulties these past couple days. Thank you so much."
He smiled as I closed the door and then he drove off.
I was back at my house. I went to unlock the door but it was slightly opened. Weird. I was sure I closed and locked it. I pushed it open and it squeaked. I looked inside and everything was a mess. My hand covered my mouth as I walked through the house.
Everything in the living room was out of place and messy. I ran upstairs and checked my room. My laptop and jewelry box was gone. I checked under my bed for my Black Box. It was where I kept all of the money I saved. It wasn't there. I checked everywhere for it. I searched the closet and even some of my clothes were gone.
I left my room and looked to my right to see my mom's room door open. I ran and gasped as I saw everything ruined. Her bed was pushed out of place, there was broken glass on the floor, and lots of her things were gone. I started crying. I ran back downstairs and checked the kitchen for the money we kept on the jar. Gone.
I put my hands on my head when I saw my the family photo that I was talking to Gray about on the ground. I lifted the frame to see the picture was just like my life. Ruined.