Chapter 9 We All Have A Story

Sammy asked me "What's Sam's story?". This is his story.
~Pickosita5
------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, May 1, 1898 7:39 PM

No One's POV:

Several boys, ranging from ages 6-18, "punch out" of work and start their way home. Some stop by the local market that will close soon and others try to hurry home before it gets darker. One of those boys, a 16 year old, is heading towards his own home in the great woods of  Pineview, Maine.

(A/n: I checked, there is no Pineview in Maine...I MADE A CITY!!!)

The boy was Samuel Trueheart. He is one of the best working Newsboys the city had ever seen, unlike his father who was a Newsboy himself when he was younger.

"You are a much harder worker than your father ever was, son."

"I don't even know how you're his son, boy!"

"Were you adopted? That man couldn't have possibly raised such a fine working young man as yourself."

And many more words were said to him. Many harsher words.

"Does your father have a job yet, Pansy?"

"Oh no! Here comes the newsboy of the month! Everyone hide, his father might've corrupted him!"

"Go back home like your father, Stationary."

That's only the nice things.

Samuel was walking through the underbrush close to the woods when he felt something hit him from the back of his head. He turned to see some boys in their coaches, paper bags in their hands.

"Here Stationary. *whistle* Here boy!" One mocked, throwing a rock from the bag at him.

Samuel ignored him and started walking again when he heard the coaches' engines come to life. He started running through the think underbrush, not daring to look behind him in fear that if he does, they'll catch him and beat him again. He managed to get into the woods, and the sounds of motors and engines started fading until they finally disappeared. Samuel stopped and tiredly looked back. No one was following him anymore. He started trekking to the cabin in the woods, not looking forward to facing his mother and father, only the two other members of his family.
------------------------------------------------------------
8:23 PM

"No Hunter! Sit! Sit!" A high pitched voice said as he neared the cabin. A little girl, that looks around the ages of 5-6 was outside playing with a large munsterlander that had a gray coat of fur, unlike many of his kind. Samuel managed a small smile when he saw Emily and Hunter running around.

"Emily!" He called out, getting the little girl's attention. Emily turned to see Samuel, the smile never leaving her face.

"Sammy! Sammy you're home!" She yelled, running up to him and tackling his leg.

"I was only gone for a few hours at work, you silly girl." He chuckled, picking her up in his arms. The girl pouted, looking up at her brother.

"Mama and Papa where fighting again. I managed to sneak out with Hunter before they started throwing stuff. Papa found the whiskey before Mama could throw it out." She said, looking sadly at her brother.

"You smart girl, getting out before the trouble. One day, we should just run away. You, Mama and I, and we can go on and find my real father. Bet he'll take better care of us than that old sot." Samuel shook his head, carrying his sister back towards the cabin, the dog walking at his legs.