Chapter 25: Backstories, Oh Backstories

A/n: Hahahaha... um, do you guys even like my writing? Because I know plenty of books on here better than mine... oh well, here's your next chapter! (I KNOW, WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!)

Warning: SELF-HARM MENTIONED BUT NOT PERFORMED

------------------------------------------------------------

Katie's POV:

I looked at the faces of the Gods in the room, not very surprised to see Persephone, Hades, or Thanatos there too. Sam standing next to them was a surprise, especially because he was not in his shadow form, he was his regular self like from Oklahoma.

"I am the lost goddess, aren't I?" I demanded.

My Oskait father beckoned me over but I stayed where I was. "I want answers."

"You want answers? Fine, we'll give them to you." Demeter stood and walked towards me.

"It started when you were first throw off Helirium."

---Somewhere in the early first century[*1]---

Demeter walked through the world of the Sentries, acting as if she was on vacation in the nation of Oskait. It was relaxing not having to fight with her siblings all the time. As she walked past a field of flowers said to be haunted by the locals, she heard the crying of a small child, a baby perhaps. Letting her curiosity get the best of her, Demeter walked into the field in search of what was crying.

Much to her surprise, she found a baby. But not just any baby, oh no, she was a powerful goddess! She frowned as the baby continued to cry and picked it up, trying to get it to stop crying. "Hush young one, what troubles you?" She mumbled, having gotten used to the speech of the humans in the area.

The young goddess only continued to cry. Was this the crying spirit the humans warned her about? The one they claimed that if you heard it's cry and tried to help it, you'd never return? Well, Demeter didn't believe them for a second.[*2]

"You are but a child, what can you do to harm others?" Demeter mused and started making her way out of the field. As she walked, though, she stepped on something that cracked and made her jump back.

 A skull; a human skull. The human's bones had vines wrapped tightly around them, despite there being no way for those vines to exist in such a location. The baby's crying made the flowers turn to face them, even if they were dead. And those that were dead suddenly looked as if they were alive, had been alive for the longest time. None of them looked to be of the winter season. In fact, the whole field was deprived of snow, when just before she stepped into it the entire world seemed to be full of it.

Demeter looked down at the child. "You are a powerful goddess aren't you?" She chuckled. "But you cannot stay here. I shall take you somewhere safe, somewhere where you can learn to control your magic. I am growing very fond of you, young one. One day you will grow to be more powerful, I know you will."

---

"And so I took you to the Underworld. There you were raised by Persephone and Hades. Thanatos was there too I believe." Demeter motioned towards the three gods who resided in the Underworld.

"Yes, I treated you like a little sister. I took care of you too, when Hades and Persephone were especially busy." Thanatos nodded.

---

"No Fiore, you have to keep still!" Thanatos sighed at the young girl. She frowned and huffed as he combed through her hair.

"Persephone does it better! She doesn't pull my hair as often!" Fiore grumbled.