Part 27

It only rings 3 times before someone answers.
"Hel-"
"What were you going to say in the voicemail?" I cut him off.
"Um-"
"Look I know your mad and-"
"Jude let me talk," he says matter-of-factly.
He doesn't sound frustrated or angry, and I am surprisingly relieved.
"Right sorry," I cover my face even tho I know he can't see me.
"It's fine," there's a few laughs in the background, "and I was going to say," a few muffles are heard then a, "I'm sorry."
"Your sorry?"
"Yes I am, I tru-"
"I don't believe it. I'm the one that should be saying sorry, not you!"
"Well I am the one that said you made me feel worthless," there's a few more muffles in the background and a 'shut up' obviously coming from Connor before he tries to continue.
"Exactly Connor I made you feel worthless, I'm the one that should be saying sorry."
"But I realized Jude that saying that you made me feel worthless, saying it to you, probably made you feel way more worthless than I did. I was out of line for saying that to you and I'm sorry."
I did feel pretty worthless when he said that, not worthless just, an asshole.
"I was an ass," I shake my head, "I'm sorry too."
"Are we even?"
"I forgive you."
"And I forgive you."
"I don't know are we even?"
It goes silent for a minute.
"Yeah I guess, but I have one more question Jude. Do you-and be completely honest- do you like me?"
I hold my breath.
Yes.
"No-"
"I thought so," his voice cracks.
"Wait," I say a little too loudly.
"What?!" He yells through gritted teeth.
"No I don't like you-"
"I get it Jude you don't have to repeat it."
"Let me finish," I say little too calmly.
I'm going to lose him if I don't choose the right words.
"I don't like you because, I can't. I can't just like you, especially you. It's hard not to feel so much love for you. I love you."
He lets out a deep sigh, I can't tell if it's a sigh of relief or regret.
"I love you too. I loved you since I first set my eyes on you. I can't just like you either. I can act like I'm angry, but I just can't be angry at you for very long, believe it or not your voice makes it hard."
I laugh, "really cause my voice doesn't stop me from being angry at myself."
"I said I forgive you," he sighs again.
"I know," I take a breath, "I never said I forgave myself."