Part 26

I haven't been using my phone all week, but I check it everyday after school and when I wake up on weekends. It's Friday, just coming home with Brandon and Mama.
"Sweets will you come help me and Brandon put groceries away?"
I forgot about the quick stop at the store instead of going straight home.
"Um sure," bag still on my back I don't take it off.
I unpack fairly quickly, getting suspicious looks from both of them.
"What are you in a hurry for?" Brandon smirks.
"Nothing, I don't know what you mean," I turn away as my face starts to heat up.
"You and Siris been getting close," Mama comments.
Wait, I stop what I'm doing and turn towards her, "what?" Disbelief clear in my voice, I don't try to cover it up.
"You and Siris?"
"What about me and Siris?!"
"She means are you getting some?" Brandon laughs, Mama nudges him but cracks a smile.
I frown turning back to the cabinets to occupy myself with the types of chips, and canned goods.
"I still don't know what you mean," I shake my head, "there's nothing 'going on' with us, we're just friends."
Just friends.
I run up stairs after we're finished, dropping my bag by the door and unplugging my phone to check it.
I don't know why I been checking it. I don't know what I'm supposed to expect. It's not like I'm popular. I guess it's more of a want, it is a want. I want to expect several apology texts, not that I'm the one that needs the apology, that's just how he is.
So when I turn on my phone and see 1 voice mail, I'm joyful.
Surprised? Yes.
Worried? Yes.
But joyful? More than anything else.
There's still an emoji heart by his name and I can't help but smile.
I press play on the voice mail, 20 seconds of silence then his tuff voice appears.
"Hey Jude, um-I just need to talk to you so please call back. I want you to know tha-"
The voicemail cuts off.
I hang up.
Then dial again.