Part 12

"So Connor texted me today."
"Really? What did he say?" Taylor asked as we ate lunch.
She got her lunch schedule changed again back to the same time as mine. Siris wasn't here today, he hasn't been here all week actually, he told me he was sick.
"He said he still loved me."
"What did you say?" She asked curiously.
"I said I was dating you, and that I moved on."
I lean and kiss her on the cheek.
"Oh," she laughed, kissing me back.
***
"Hey can I talk to you?"
I hear Callie speak as I approach the kitchen.
"About Jude," she continued.
I stop and listen in.
"What about him?" Stef says, putting what sounds like silverware down on a surface.
"I'm worried about him."
"We all are. We just have to give him time to figure everything out," Lena says.
"We gave him time and I don't think he can figure it out by himself," Callie takes a deep breath, "he thinks if he's gay then he'll be taken away like Connor and Jack."
"What do you mean taken away?" Stef asks even though I'm sure she already knows.
"I don't know exactly, I guess he thinks he'll die or something. It's hard to explain."
"I see; was Jack gay?" Lena asks.
"No but him and Jude kissed."
"What, does he think being gay is wrong?" Stef speaks up.
It gets quiet and no one answers.
"I'm worried about him, he's been so- I don't know, not himself."
"I know love. We'll talk to him," Stef reassures.
"I just don't want him to get hurt or hurt anyone else."
How dare she accuse me of hurting anyone. I didn't hurt no body. Connor brought it on himself. Anger built up inside me.
"I didn't hurt anyone Callie!"
"Jude!" She jumped in surprise.
"Who did I hurt Callie?"
"Jude I didn't-"
"You didn't mean it, then why did you say it?"
"I didn't mean it like that," she grabs my arm, "Jude listen to me."
"No," I don't look back at any of them, "you're starting to sound like Connor, and everyone else in this frickin' world."
***
It was dark by the time I got back on my bike. I prop it up on the grass and sit down on the front steps. Not even a few minutes go by before Lena steps out.
"Hey bud," she sits down next to me.
"Hey I was just about to come in."
"It's okay, but you about missed dinner we been waiting for you."
"You can eat with out me."
"Now why would we do that?"
"I'm not hungry," I shrug.
"Jude you're really scaring me," I glance up at her, "with all this 'not hungry' nonsense, and snapping at your sister like that."
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to I was just angry."
"Hun I'm not the one to say sorry to."
"I know."
"Alright let's go and eat," she starts to stand up.
"Mama?"
"Hm?"
"Why did Jack have to die? Why did Connor have to move?" My voice cracks.
"Well sweet," she sits back down, "sometimes bad things happen to good people."
"Except Connor moving was a bad thing for me and a good thing for him. Sometimes mama, bad things happen to bad people, like me."
"You're not a bad person honey," she pulls me close.
"I broke Connor's heart, then I kept pushing him away. I hurt him and I'm pretty sure he hates me now," tears rush down my face, she hugs me tighter.
"No he doesn't."
"I told him I moved on."
"And did you?"
"I-" I stop myself, "No."

To be continued in the next part.-AN