Part 36: the last chapter

I sit outside a little longer, head against the tree, eyes closed, breathing heavily but peacefully.
The quietness of the waves washing to shore in the distance, and the wind moving the highest branches of the trees, it's calming.
I don't even open my eyes as I feel someone sit down on the opposite side of the bench.
"Jude."
Shit.
I sit up fast, opening my eyes, turning towards Lena.
I put my hand over my heart, "you scared me."
She doesn't lightly laugh like usual when she accidentally scares me instead her voice gets serious and stern, "why are you out of class?"
"It's lunch time, I'm not skipping."
"Lunch hours were over a hour ago."
I look at my phone, "oh."
"Didn't you hear the bell?" She looks at me kind of concerned.
"No I didn't," I look down at my phone again, "I was talking to Connor, kind of. He was more like, talking to me."
"Monte told me she saw you run out here during lunch, looked like you needed to be alone so she didn't bother you, but I guess she thought you would go back to class after lunch," Mama raises an eyebrow at me.
"Sorry, I was kind of out of it," I shrug.
"I thought so, you weren't acting like yourself this morning."
I shrug again.
Mama scoots closer and wraps an arm around me, "you know if you don't feel ok you can come to me or mom. Your mental health is more important then your school work, anyways it's the last day and you already missed 6th and half of 7th hour."
"Sorry about that, I got side tracked," I glance at my phone then back at mama.
"Come on the final bell of the whole year will ring in 20 minutes," she says as we get up and make our way into the building, "are you excited?"
"I would be a little more excited if the bell meant I didn't have to come back next year as a sophomore."
***
That night as we sit around the table and eat dinner we excitedly talk about our last days. I make up half of what I say about Siris and I joking around.
Mama doesn't question me.
After dinner I notice Callie, Mariana and Jesus whispering and laughing.
"Shut up," Brandon whisper yells at them.
I ignore them and continue helping drying the dishes.
"Hey Jude," Jesus gets my attention.
"Yeah?" I turn towards him.
"Guess what?"
"What?"
"Moms got a new car!"
Moms look over at Jesus and roll their eyes.
"Okay..."
He should know I'm not into cars.
"Why don't we go somewhere then?" Mariana looks at moms, "to celebrate the last day."
Callie leans over me and hugs my waist, "what do you say Jude?"
I look at moms.
"Sounds like a great idea to me," Stef says happily.
So before I know it we are all getting ready to go bowling. I'm happy and excited knowing this family time will probably lift my spirits from my current disastrous events of today.
***
We check out bowling shoes and two bowling allies. Before getting shoes me, Jesus, and Callie test bowling ball weights and try to pick out the best. Mariana though only cares about how pretty they are so we let her pick out her own ball.
It's a fancy bowling alley, with the lights flashing every where and popular music nearly blaring from the above speakers on the ceiling.
Before we start bowling, we go and get drinks and nachos despite the fact that we just had dinner.
As we order our drinks. Mariana puts her hands on my shoulder suddenly.
"Hey Jude would you look who it is," she turns my body towards the entrance and exit doorway, the same we came in, and the same we will go out later.
My eyes wander around the people near the door, since there's a little arcade right next to it.
My heart nearly stops. I'm pretty sure I gasp as I run towards him, and he runs towards me.
I've been set up by my wonderful family or maybe it was all his plan.
I finally clasp into his arms and I'm unaware of the tears that start to slide down my cheeks. Soon my family are behind us, so are his.
"I missed you," he gets out but we all hear the crack in his voice as he lays his head on top mine.
"Connor," I say still surprised, I lightly push him back, "am I dreaming?"
That makes everyone laugh.
"Surprise!" Mariana says happily.
"I sure hope this isn't a dream," Connor laughs with a wide smile on his face.
I wipe my arm across my wet face, "I'm crying," I laugh.
"Awe babe," Connor pulls me back to his chest and I lay my head on his shoulder and laugh with tears of joy still running down my face.
When I am with him it feels like I am exactly where I am meant to be.