Deep Blue Sea

Swim faster, my mother said. You never know when you might need to practice speed in a real situation. Between life and death, there will be times that you will need to practice speed, especially if you're supernatural than the average human life.

I'm swimming with the fishes, in its literal fishy meaning and it's me, my little brother, Lonnie, my mother and my father living underneath the shimmery, beautiful coast of the Atlantic Ocean for almost sixteen years of my life. How I'm not dead? Thanks to the vivacious blue, silver, gold fishtail that was transformed from my two beach tan legs, it also provides me a lifetime rule to breath under the sea and on land.

"Blair! Dinner time! It's fruit smoothie night!"

Oh sweet. Smoothies!

"Hurry before I have yours! It's your favorite!" My very annoying little brother hollers, playfully giggling as his head bobbles out of the fluorescent shell front door.

"You thought, shrimp for brains!" I giggle, speeding into the house.

Purposely, I lightly slap Lonnie with the thin blue end of my tail on the quick way in and take a seat on the couch, sashaying my tail side to side as Lonnie rubs his cheek and I smile.

"That's not fair! That's no fair!" Lonnie whines, pointing his chipped off, right index finger at me. "just because you're a mermaid, you just think you're better and faster!"

"Nuh uh! Come here, you rascal!" I laugh.

"I'm no rascal, fish tail!" Lonnie whines as he playfully jumps on me and I tickle his underarms, causing him to laugh and cry.

"Okay okay you two! Supper time! Blair, stop fiddling your brother and come get some food," my dad orders in a friendly way.

"I call the seat next to Dad!" Lonnie hollers, squirming out of my hands and swimming over to the dining room; the opening chased with beautiful blue crystals and pearls stolen from sea clams.

"I call the seat next to Mom!" I call, speeding into the room smiling, knowing that Lonnie is gonna start whining again.

"But I wanna be in between Mom and Dad! That's not fair, Blair!" he complains as I sit next to him and I almost cringe as his lips start to quiver.

"Lonnie. Lonnie, come on. Don't cry, don't!" I shout and Lonnie starts to sniffle.

Oh no. Five seconds until Lonnie's Big Bang. I got to stop it and I gotta do it now. Ugh he's such a pain in the butt sometimes.

"Fine I'll move! I'll go to the other side of the table! Jeez!" Letting out a huge huff, I choose the other side of the table and cross my arms as I see Lonnie mischievously smiling at me.

"You little---" I mumble, but purposely interrupted by my very sweet, red-haired mother and her two pina-colada smoothies on plates of round Ritz crackers and cheese.

"Alright my beautiful little seashells! Dinner time!" Mom announces as she lays my plate down and pinches my cheek.

"Ooh sweet! Acai berry!" Lonnie exclaims as Dad lays his kiddie Goldfish plate down in front of him and his favorite silver and pink glitter painted sundae cup.

"Pina colada is better," I snidely say, sipping some of my smoothie out through my pink plastic straw and watching Lonnie's face scrunch up like he's eaten a lemon.

"Liar!" he shouts, causing me to laugh while I sip.

"I know you are, but what am I?" I contradict.

"You---!" Lonnie grumbles, pointing his finger at me.

"Okay! Okay! Enough," Mom interrupts, lightly smacking my right arm and winking at me as she smiles brightly.