Safety First

Oh yeah and Mr Briarwood started getting closer to me now which scared me at first, but now I'm just over it. I'm gonna see him everyday because he's my math teacher and my boyfriend's stepfather... and my older brother's team captain... and Dad's best friend since high school... jeez this man is everything.

"Normally I thought sisters and brothers hated each other, but you and Lonnie are nowhere near that," Mr Briarwood says to me as we just watch a very old football game while we both sit on the living room couch, identical to the one in the second living room.

"Lonnie? No he's a pest when we get home. Same bed all ten years of his life and so many arguments over the shower and who gets the seat next to Mom and Dad, but I still love him anyway," I shrug.

"You know you went completely full circle and back to my point, right?" Mr Briarwood questions and he laughs when I smack my forehead and sigh.

"Yeah. Sorry. Dang it," I slump down and he bumps my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it," he says and I sit back up with my back suddenly just cracking once I stretch out.

"Were you lying about the calculator thing?" Mr Briarwood asks, crossing his thin, black skinny jean legs on the ottoman while just staring at the tv.

"Calculator thing...no I wasn't. I don't even have a cellphone," I answer.

"Be honest with me. You can't guess a decimal that completely accurate. You had to have a calculator in your hands somewhere that I couldn't see," Mr Briarwood snickers.

Leave it to me to say something completely stupid and extremely regretful.

"If you think I'm lying, then ask me another square root question," I dare something that I shouldn't have dared and Mr Briarwood slowly turns his head and faces me with an oblivious smirk and I cross my legs on the couch to face him directly.

Dang it, Blair!

"Are you daring me, Cadaway?" he whispers.

Don't nod. Don't nod. Whatever you do, just don't nod.

And I nod.

WHAT DID I JUST SA---

"Fourteen point nine squared plus thirty one point eighteen squared is what?" Mr Briarwood quickly quizzes me and my brain just jumps.

What the heck? I don't know any of--- wait. Fourteen point nine squared. Fourteen squared is one hundred ninety six, then you put the decimals together like they're original nines. One hundred and ninety six point eighty one. But that's not it. Add fourteen point nine fourteen times and that would be...two hundred and twenty two point zero one. Then add thirty one point eighteen squared thirty one times. It's one thousand and eleven point twenty four. Add the two numbers together and you get...ooh I got it!

"One thousand two hundred and thirty three point twenty five," I answer and Mr Briarwood just gives me this off look. Is he confused? Shocked? Dazed? Angry? Judging by his flatlined lips, raised eyebrows, non flinched eyes, and non-flared nostrils, it's so hard to tell.

"I don't know what to say because I don't know the answer to that question," Mr Briarwood says and we both laugh together. "but if I find out you're lying to me, I won't let you talk to Jace for a week."

"But that's torture! What do I get if I'm right?"

"Nothing. Don't give me that look. You're the one who wanted the question!"

"Because you thought I was lying!"

"No I didn't,"

"Yes you did!"