•14•

August

"Hey momma."

"Morning son" she smiled as I entered the kitchen.

"Whea everybody at?"

"Misty and Nai in tha studio."

"Maw ain't come over yet?"

"Nope, Sum said they would be around midday so."

"Aight." I nodded.

Grabbing a bowl, I poured me some cereal and sat. We been in New Orleans bout a week now and it was good ta be back home honestly.

Ma momma lived in tha same house, she didn't want ta move even after I offered, but she let me do some upgrades ta ha place.

"What y'all doing today?" She sat across from me.

"Me and Cha suppose to with Maiya to check out this spot she got."

"Oh ok" she nodded. "Jamal not going with y'all?"

Over the years ma momma had grown to love and accept Jamal. She says that it was Mel who sent him despite the way he was sent.

After some time, I began to see it, Cha was more than happy and tha girls loved him.

"He gotta work but Cha suppose to face time him so he could see it too. I think its two spots we gonna be looking at."

"In the same area?"

"Yea. Maiya has ha heart set on it being downtown."

"Well its a tourist spot, so she is right."

"Mhmm" I nodded as I ate.

"But what you think about all of this?" I asked.

"Honestly, I'm not surprised. Amaiya is Mel in everything she does, always has and always will be."

"Yea." I agreed.

"I didn't like how she graduated from university and didn't say anything though." She shook ha head. "Again...just like ha father, lah sneak." She laughed.

Maiya had came out and said that she had graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts.

"Yea I was surprised that she didn't say anything though."

"But she did it and did what she wanted to do, now look at her, twenty three with a dual degree in business and Liberal Arts and about to open her own gallery."

When ever ma momma spoke about these girls, shit ha grand children in general, ha eyes lit up. She was so proud of all of them.

Chaylin outchea doing ha thing as a successful psychologist. Kayden graduated with honors, her and Destiny and they gonna be going to Howard University. Ma nephew Mally got a scholorship in basketball and gonna be going to Michigan state.

Nai was tha only one left and momma was proud of both of ha overall. Even though Cha and Jamal's son isn't ha biological grandson, she still love him like he was and he himself was doing good.

"They stay surprising us huh." I laughed.

"Yes they do."

Finishing ma cereal, we chatted some more then I excused myself and went to check on ma girls.

As I pushed tha do, I heard music going and Misty coaching Nai.

"C'mon Nai, push it!" She yelled.

I made my way in and watched as she did a piece to what sounded like Jennifer Hudson.