Chapter 1

"This movie really sucks. I can't believe you forced me to watch it," Marie said, grinning at Derrick. "Adrian! " she mocks laughing, "Adrian!" They were both sitting on the couch, a bowl of popcorn between them.

Derrick looked at her, shocked, "What? It's Rocky! How can you not appreciate this film? It's a classic. Every guy likes Rocky." He smirked at her before turning his focus back on the movie.

" Well I'm not a guy, you moron." She grinned and tossed a handful of popcorn at his face.

Her gaze settled back on the movie, but her mind drifted. One of the guys, she thought. Maybe he didn't mean it like that. But it stung. She didn't want to be thought of as one of the guys. But that's always what ended up happening. Somehow, she always ended up being bro-zoned. She looked at Derrick out of the corner of her eye. That's what would happen with him, too. He'll bro-zone her, it was only a matter of time.  

She knew she wasn't pretty. Danielle had helped her with make-up before, but she thought it made her look trashy. Danielle thought Marie looked good all made up. But it made her feel uncomfortable, she knows what's in the mirror. 

She's not like Sang, that's for sure. Her sister has it all, Marie thought. Beauty, brains and nine fucking guys who would do anything for her. Even after everything her mom put her through, Sang still bounces back. She's always willing to help, always trying to reach out to Marie. She doesn't want to admit it, but her sister is a genuinely good person, with looks to boot. 

Marie chewed on her thumb nail deep in thought. What does she get? Not even the left overs. Mousy dark hair, dull brown eyes, a full figure. And oh yeah, being thought of as one of the guys. "I hate her," Marie thought to herself, tossing a piece of popcorn and catching it in her mouth.

"Hey," Derrick said nudging her in the side. "You got quiet all of a sudden. What's wrong?"

She didn't answer him, just kept looking at the screen lost in a pity party of her own making.

He reached in the bowl, grabbing as much popcorn as he could, throwing it in her face.  "Paybacks." He laughed. "And for the record, I know you're not a guy." He lifted the bowl dumping it on top of her head.

"Ahh!" Marie yelled, her eyes wide. "I can't believe you did that!"

Laughing, Derrick leaned into her and licked her cheek. "I like the taste of butter." Pushing her back onto the couch, he kissed her. Marie kissed him back, running her fingers through his hair. He deepened the kiss.

"What the hell is going on here?"

They jumped up off the couch, seeing Mr.Sorenson glaring at them.

"This is what you turned into since I left? A slut?"

Marie smooth down her tee shirt before crossing her arms and glared back at her father.

"She's not a slut," Derrick said, taking a step toward her father.

Marie put her hand on his arm, stopping him. "It's okay." She look at Derrick. " You should go. I'll talk to you later." 

"Out," Mr. Sorenson sneered at Derrick, as he walked the rest of the way into the livingroom. "Look at this mess. Where's your sister? Get her, now!"

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Derrick asked, glancing back at her dad. There was always something off about Marie's dad, that Derrick could never figure out. He didn't want to leave her alone with him. He knew Marie and Sang had been on their own. But Marie would never tell them why, and he didn't push it.

"Of course, she'll be okay! Who the hell do you think you are? This is my house, now get out!" Mr. Sorenson, a vein throbbing on his forehead, picked the empty bowl up off the floor. His face turned into a sneer as he looked at the all the dumped popcorn on the couch and floor.